3 peice plier set.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWCFC

Reaction score
Was wondering where there is good deals for a 3 peice plier set consisting of: Side cutters, Pliers and long nose pliers. As I need all 3 at the minute! Or would it be better to buy them seperately?

Was hoping someone could point some out for me. Would love some knipex or CK ones but not sure I have the money to spare on apprentice wage!

It's up to you, depending on how much money you have to spend! Good quality does cost you.

Either bite the bullet and get a 3 piece set of good quality ones OR buy the sidecutters in a decent make and some cheapo others that you can replace with better quality later.

Apprentices in the first year or so may as well buy cheapo ones because they won't look after them and will probably leave them under a floor or in a ceiling. Once they get a bit more switched on they can buy good ones which they will by then learn to appreciate and look after.

Just my observation of apprentices I have worked with ( as opposed to adult trainees BTW)

As Pache says get yourself a decent set of side cutters I only ever buy Knipex. For cutting Tails you will need a decent cropper NWS ones are not to bad for the money. As for pliers and long nose pliers really anything will do as generally you won't use them much. Just ensure everthing you buy is well insulated that way if you do make a mistake it won't be your last mistake.

I've always used decent tools and do spend quite a bit on them. I would always recommend to buy the best you can afford, but if you can;t afford decent ones don;t just get cheap ones, save up a bit and get them when you can. Most things tool wise you're looking at the middle of the road ranges, cheap stuff is generally crap, and the really expensive stuff is sometimes OTT. You just need something averagely decent,

I've always used CK for the main tools like cutters and drivers, and always 1000V VDE. YMMV.

Im not a sidecutter kinda guy,

use pliers far more,

deffo recommend something decent like Knipex, its what Ive used since the first week of my apprenticeship and have always bought them,(preferred the old style though)

some decent 200mm ones with the offset leverage will cut through 35mm tails no probs, normal 200mm ones will do for 25mm tails even,

try e.bay for some cheap online shops, I think my last pair of pliers were about