3phase roller shutter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b6 akf

Reaction score
I had to take a look at a roller shutter door today where the control buttons, up and down, were not operating the roller shutter. I took the casing off the controls and if I push the contactors in the shutter works as it should. Any ideas why the buttons will not operate the shutter?

Is it a case of a faulty up/down switch/panel that needs replacing?

In future it is a really bad idea to manually press in a contractor if the motor was busted you could end up with nasty burns. Unless you tested the dead side first that is.

Is there a overload fitted?

What make is the control gear?

I've Spent 7 hrs today on a roller door, mech & elec!

Has the control gear (up/down) "shut" the buttons down?

It s often the case that if the door "really" overshoots it disconnects control to both up & down contactors.

More info please.

The brand is Garog. I'm a recently qualified electrician and my previous work hasn't involved any mechanical work such as this. (mainly commercial) I don't want to advise the client to buy a replacement if when changed over it will still not work.

.....my previous work hasn't involved any mechanical work such as this.
If the motor runs when the contactors are manually depressed (which I wouldn't recommend doing) then it's unlikely to be a mechanical problem. I certainly wouldn't suggest the customer buys a new item at least until you've found out what's wrong with the one they already have. If you do and another electrician is called after you've gone and it turns out to be a minor fault you're going to look like an amateur or a rip-off merchant and word spreads quickly.

Just approach the controls logically. Check all the obvious stuff first, check the supply integrity, check any fuses, check any thermal overloads for having tripped, check any motor thermistors or bi-metallic klixons, visually check any wiring and PCB's etc. The control board needs certain inputs to permit the contactor coil to get a supply. Work out what inputs there are (micro-switches, inductive loops, infra-red beams etc) and test them all methodically.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about trace the circuit through to see why the contactor coils aren't bring energised?
How about trace the circuit through to see why the contactor coils aren't being energised?
:Applaud

HOW ABOUT LISTENING TO MR RIGGYS ADVICE...

post #2...

or post #6 ...

would be a very good starting point!!! :C

either that or get someone competent to come and have a look! :(

Stop button will be common to both up and down buttons.

From up button to up contactor coil.

From down button to down contactor coil.

Plus over run limit to stop door going over the top.

Quite straight forward.

But allways best to to do what RIGGY has advised you to do

First check you have a live at the two buttons if not then look for ether emergency stop/stop button or limit switches

:slap

I went to a job a few weeks ago where [apparently] 3 guys had spent a day trying to work out why 2 roller shutters would either come down, or up, depending on how they changed the wiring in the key switches,

what a joke, quick continuity test of said switches confirmed my thoughts,

no common connection,! that may have been the reason for 4 terminals instead of three?!

they hadnt linked out the live in terminal,! numpties,

and I still regret not charging enough, I was there 1/2 hour tops including figuring out how to drag out of them what the problem was cos no-one wanted to actually tell me,

I only found out how long they had been trying to sort it after they paid me! headbang

Dotted line if it's latched.

roller.jpg

Latest posts