4mm Radial Circuit using Wago 5-way?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrkaye

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it okay to wire a radial circuit like this? All 4mm apart from the fused spur to light. No length >3m except the initial CU -> Wago. Cable will be running through 25mm MDPE piping below floor (open air). Use is for a garden office. TV/Computer/Monitors.

1725612459066.png

4.0 will not be rated at 32A if contained in MDPE.
Why MDPE?
That is an odd way to do it for a new circuit incorporate as few joints as possible.

Thanks, so that needs to be a 20A MCB. Presumably that will be sufficient for those sockets/load?

Are you notifying Building Control over this new circuit.

If you are just powering IT equipment & similar, then 20A ought to be easily sufficient. But will you need heating in the winter & Aircon in the summer? If not now, perhaps when you realise it is too cold or too hot in the office? If so, I'd check for sure what the loading might be, before deciding on the circuit rating, though 20A might still be enough.

As mentioned, assuming this is a domestic property, notification to Building Control ought to be done, which is usually a lot easier & cheaper if done by a scheme (NICEIC, NAPIT) member.

Hi,

Is it okay to wire a radial circuit like this? All 4mm apart from the fused spur to light. No length >3m except the initial CU -> Wago. Cable will be running through 25mm MDPE piping below floor (open air). Use is for a garden office. TV/Computer/Monitors.

View attachment 17035

by MDPE i hope you don't mean blue / yellow since you wouldnt expect a cable in a gas/water pipe. not done cable calc but 4mm may be undersized too

many wago's are also only rated to 20a

Hi,

View attachment 17035

Is this RCD supplying other MCBs? if yes, its poor design in my opinion.
Is the RCD a type 'A'? if no, then is needs changing to a type 'A'
Dedicated RCBO much better solution.

If you are just powering IT equipment & similar, then 20A ought to be easily sufficient. But will you need heating in the winter & Aircon in the summer? If not now, perhaps when you realise it is too cold or too hot in the office? If so, I'd check for sure what the loading might be, before deciding on the circuit rating, though 20A might still be enough.

As mentioned, assuming this is a domestic property, notification to Building Control ought to be done, which is usually a lot easier & cheaper if done by a scheme (NICEIC, NAPIT) member.
Thanks. There's underfloor heating (wet) and the AC is fed from the condenser which is on a separate 6mm feed (professionally installed).

Thanks all. The Wagos are the ones rated for 4mm cable to 32A. The MDPE is just to shield the cable from the elements and rodents, running in open air under the joists.

Thanks all. The Wagos are the ones rated for 4mm cable to 32A. The MDPE is just to shield the cable from the elements and rodents, running in open air under the joists.
What cable are you planning on using for the run back to the house?

I would run swa from house to shed off MCB not sharing a rcd. Install a mini board in shed and treat each cable run as separate circuits from RCBOs in mini board. You also need to consider earthing arrangements, if you main fuse has axsticjer saying PME supply, you should not be exporting the earth from the house, and install an earth rod in the shed making it a TT system

Still not convinced that your sketch makes any sense - too complicated by far and no internal lights?

What cable are you planning on using for the run back to the house?

I would run swa from house to shed off MCB not sharing a rcd. Install a mini board in shed and treat each cable run as separate circuits from RCBOs in mini board. You also need to consider earthing arrangements, if you main fuse has axsticjer saying PME supply, you should not be exporting the earth from the house, and install an earth rod in the shed making it a TT system
Apologies, I missed a detail there. The 4mm feed is already laid and the office is actually attached to the house - it's a side extension/annex.

by MDPE i hope you don't mean blue / yellow since you wouldnt expect a cable in a gas/water pipe. not done cable calc but 4mm may be undersized too

many wago's are also only rated to 20a
Agreed. It is the blue stuff I have leftover, but I'm marking it up across the length with green tape and labelling it across the short length.