5 day wonders

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Always check the tightness of connections, including factory ones!

Well I didn't check the factory neutral on the main switch.

What a plonker, but then on the electrical side, i am a 5 ww, so what can you expect?

Trying to attach a photo here but can't seem to get it

2011-11-27 11.51.35.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thing is Plumb I bet you don't do it again.

I've done the same with plumbing compression fittings .

Stay with the Forum M8 , Plumbing advice is always welcome . Don't think we have another do we ??

As long as you can put up with the P taking as the lone plumber !! Not a bad Forum name there...... The Lone Plumber... Hi ho Silver...Awayyyyyy !!!

I had a similar one with a Pro Elec DB I installed.

The customer called me to say there was a burning smell

The first neutral bar was overheated and melted.

But the screw WAS well and truly tight.

I concluded it was a design fault. They had used a solid round bar for the neutral links. Now looking at the termination in detail, that arrangement only gives a very small point contact area at the termination point. So I replaced it with a stranded neutral link wire which squashes down in the termination as it's tightened giving a larger point contact area.

That was one of the first Pro Elec dual RCD boards I fitted. Later ones I see had replaced the solid bar with a stranded neutral link, so obviously I was not the first to encounter that problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
i did some work in a playgroup a while back

extra lights,sockets in a reception area

tested it all off issued certs......

call a few days later,,,,,lights flickering,,,,,,cu is very warm and crackling...

get there straight away,,,,,,,,,the neutral to the bar was behind it not in it

i disturbed it and caused the fault,,,,,,,i was never in since install

double check all connections even on a minor job !!!!!1

Did a domestic PIR last week and had all the switches off for visual inspection, on the way home gets a call of client that the kitchen light wont switch off so i drive back up there and the switch plate is hot removed from wall and it had burnt right up must have disturbed a loose connection.

Always double check the tighness of terminations.

Happens to us all, new meter and isolater fitted by DNO before I fitted new CU, all ok on final testing etc. Two days later my mate(and business partner) comes round touches new tails, everything goes off, I had disturbed N in DNO isolater when fitting tails to new CU!! He keps reminding me, glad it was our rental property being refurbed with no power being used and not a paying customer. He still wont lwt it go...................mnid you he has since connected red to blue in temp extending ring!!!!!! Ha ha (Very late in 15 hour day in poor light....I will give him that) Why is it tripping mate - after I located prob the Red was now black anyway!!!!!

Latest posts