50V On Garage Earth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well thanks for everyones input and advice, apologies if its caused any friction!

You can all blame my lack of experience in a place with more than 1 computer. :)

OP, As others have said its quite normal for a disconnected CPC to float about and have a voltage of up to 110v (albeit with a high impedance).

On a run of switch start fittings with a dropped earth, you can quite often work out which fittings to open to loop for the problem by using a volt stick :p

So let me get this straight.

You have a garage used as an office with a computer (known to be a high leakage item quite often)

You disconnect the earth, while still leaving the circuit powered up.  Why would you do that?

Then you are surprised when you measure a voltage on the now floating earth, no doubt as a result of some small leakage from the computer.

And then you go and post it on a forum as if there's something wrong with the circuit?

As one of the older Electricians on this forum, what is it about the younger ones that they feel they must argue or disagree about every detail when someone posts and then with each other.

I still find things I did'nt know after 44 years is this trade.

If I don't know something I welcome the advise.

Like how much is a pint of milk, because I have never been shopping in all the years I've been married

But that is with a high impedance DVM.....

As one of the older Electricians on this forum, what is it about the younger ones that they feel they must argue or disagree about every detail when someone posts and then with each other.

Like how much is a pint of milk, because I have never been shopping in all the years I've been married

Can you even buy a pint of milk anymore?.

Define 'younger' fellow Wiltshireman?

I've had over 70V on a lighting circuit with a floating earth,,, so 50V isn't a problem
Wow! Really. We were installing lighting on a metal railway bridge and only got 60 votes leaking from the DCCR.

Latest posts