• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Talk Electrician Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Trade Garage & van sale coming soon

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a thread to alert anybody wanting to pick up bargains. I’m shutting my business down in about 8 weeks and have loads of stuff looking for a new home.

Based in Woking , Surrey

I’ll add more information in due course

Good luck Murdoch,
PS retirement is great providing you are one of the people that can keep themselves busy.

Been doing voluntary work 1 day a week for over a year and playing golf once per week - now have a 5 day membership so golf will be twice a week and have my eye on some more voluntary work so things are going OK - what concerns me is the winter and periods of bad weather that could halt my golf and voluntary work.

I have been pondering about getting 1 days work per week - not for the money, more the structure and interaction with others - only time will tell.

I think because generally speaking we are technical people who can fix things and there not as many of us about in modern society, once people realise you have a bit of time the neighbours will be bringing you things to fix. I always seem to be busy and never ask for payment but there is always cake, wine, beer magically appearing on my workbench. One of the other things I have changed is I don’t go on holiday during the summer now, it’s a January or February holiday for me now when the days are short and wet in the UK.
Every night is now a Friday night and every day is a Saturday, I love it.

I volunteered for L.I.V.E.S. (Lincolnshire Volunteer Emergency Service) a few years ago, they were very grateful for retirees to join and help the emergency services to help others. I worked my way up the ladder and became a trainer and intermediate responder for LIVES. We are controlled by the ambulance service and get the call at the same time as the ambulance usually for heart attacks or RTA's. I find it really interesting and have the option to 3rd man with ambulance crews from time to time. It's not for everyone and you are involved with some traumatic situations (the worst are usually motorcycle RTA's) but I did attend a 16 year old girl, one of my neighbours children, she'd OD'd and sadly died at home. Her parents were standing over me whilst I was doing CPR and a constant barrage of 'she is going be alright John isnt she?", "we know you can do it", "What happens next?". I had to ask them to go and look out for the ambulance. Sadly we could not revive her, I elected to break the news because I knew the family. I had to get some counselling after that one, i've been alright with all of the others.

When I wanted to occupy myself, following early retirement from a middle management role in industry, I found a part time job driving and doing general building maintenance at a local care home.
Responsible for no-one but myself, no pressure, plenty of variety, practical skills appreciated, and of course a modest wage. I would happily go the same path again. Still leaves plenty of time for the garden and voluntary work.

I've kept one customer for a little extra income, but I am contemplating a proper job, one day a week. Trouble is that would tie me down a bit more than I want. This winter was dreadful, so wet and miserable I couldn't get on with lots of little jobs around the house, so maybe I'll do the Xmas shift at the post office next year.

I've kept one customer for a little extra income, but I am contemplating a proper job, one day a week. Trouble is that would tie me down a bit more than I want. This winter was dreadful, so wet and miserable I couldn't get on with lots of little jobs around the house, so maybe I'll do the Xmas shift at the post office next year.

Judging by the many comments I’ve had recently I could keep going with all my customers.

I suppose there is the grey area of earning £1k and not needing to tell HMRC ….

Judging by the many comments I’ve had recently I could keep going with all my customers.

I suppose there is the grey area of earning £1k and not needing to tell HMRC

Yeah, but then you haven't retired. My single customer is a school, so it works with travelling as we go nowhere in school holidays. I will be stopping that when the current caretaker retires.

Cash....

I still work for a chemist chain of shops. I got them to open their own CEF A/C so I only charge labour, otherwise that £1000 quickly mounts up. I only work in a maintenance roll as I am retired

My single customer is a school, so it works with travelling as we go nowhere in school holidays. I will be stopping that when the current caretaker retires.

Cash....

I'm surprised a school does much cash work nowadays?

{ side-note-thoughts:-

My wife works in the finance dept of a local school, and very little is done with cash....

Basically they try to avoid having much cash on site and minimise any bank visits to get cash.
Their school caretaker has access to various suppliers trade accounts for any materials they need for various maintenance jobs.

Even the kids school dinners have to be purchased via an electronic payment system,
and she frequently has to contact various parents to get them to top-up their child's account, as for some daft reason the system allows the kids to go overdrawn purchasing food they do not have funds for in their account!!
Which in my opinion is a bad example for future understanding of budgeting and how to manage your money!

I think if mom hasn't put enough money into the account then little Billy, Jane, Lee, Amy, Peter, Suzie etc.. etc.. should not be able to have any dinner!! Back when I was young if I forgot my dinner money all I could have was water!!
Its all well and good getting kids used to cashless purchases.. But learning how to keep an eye on your account and not going overdrawn is probably more important to learn.....

Actually.. perhaps they should go back to cash so kids learn, no cash no food!

So maybe the Binky Cash method should be the way forward??? }

@SPECIAL LOCATION the school doesn't do cash, I was thinking of friends/ neighbours with that comment.

Money as just numbers in an account, I would agree there's nothing quite like cash. It would help teach kids to count as well, but handling cash does come with banking costs for the school, plus time and effort for staff to go to a bank branch. Not sure if electronic systems are cheaper than the cash charges ?

Last edited:
. Not sure if electronic systems are cheaper than the cash charges ?
It is for the banks. They are the ones driving cashless by closing most branches.
My local branch has just closed. It isn't for lack of customers; there was always a queue when I went in.
It was in an area with holiday entertainments and huge bags of coins were usually being weighed. I don't know what those traders are supposed to do now.