6 terminal junction box

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During my 100 years practicing the dark arts I never had occasion to use JBs in that way , I suppose if it were surface clipped wiring one would do it like that , still baffled as to why the college have gone into it.

Also interesting is the term " Travellers " for "Strappers" , not come across that one before.

Deke

But also amend then to current colours codes...
O.K., attached are the same diagrams quickly converted. (Apologies for the repeated crudeness of the drawings).

Could I suggest you add them to the downloads area so they don't get lost
Done. :)

LightSw1a.jpg

LightSw2a.jpg

LightSw3a.jpg

LightSw4a.jpg

LightSw5a.jpg

Ive just got one more college asignment to do that involves using a junction box.

For this one its says:

" Draw a wiring diagram for two 1way switches controlling two seperate lamps using a 6 terminal junction box "

Ive attached a drawing of how I think it might work.

Could anyone have a look to see if its correct or let me know where Ive gone wrong,

Cheers

6 terminal JB - 2 lights - 2 switches.jpg

During my 100 years practicing the dark arts I never had occasion to use JBs in that way , I suppose if it were surface clipped wiring one would do it like that , still baffled as to why the college have gone into it.Also interesting is the term " Travellers " for "Strappers" , not come across that one before.

Deke
I've never done it with a JB, but I have done it into the rose as it's a useful method when rewiring and reusing existing "small" conduit drops

During my 100 years practicing the dark arts I never had occasion to use JBs in that way , I suppose if it were surface clipped wiring one would do it like that , still baffled as to why the college have gone into it.Also interesting is the term " Travellers " for "Strappers" , not come across that one before.

Deke
never installed in that way either, but have came accross them whilst fault finding

Also interesting is the term " Travellers " for "Strappers" , not come across that one before.
My mixed trans-Atlantic terminology showing up there. Travelers is the usual name in North America. (I remembered to be consistent in labeling the diagrams as 2-way switching, not 3-way. :) )

Nice one,

Cheers for checking that.

My mixed trans-Atlantic terminology showing up there. Travelers is the usual name in North America. (I remembered to be consistent in labeling the diagrams as 2-way switching, not 3-way. :) )
I was wondering why you called them travelers.

The IEE and related committees could have just said "No." The gray for one phase was only introduced by British interests pushing for three different colors. Many other European countries were already using two browns plus a black, or two blacks plus a brown, and seemed happy to just adopt that as the standard, which seems pretty daft to me - If you're going to identify the phases by color, surely you want to identify all three of them, not just be able to pick one out of the three? If you're not going to make all three distinct colors, you might just as well use the same color for all of them and tag them to identify them.
IEE & co probably didnt get a choice, being part to EU and all that

should have stayed with RYB - at least they were distinctive and obvious as live, now we just get 3x dark colours

I was in a 400KV sub the other day and the 3 phase markings on the incomers were red yellow and blue. Didnt offer to change it for them....
did you offer to change the brown/black/grey to RYB in the other substaion though?!

I was in a 400KV sub the other day and the 3 phase markings on the incomers were red yellow and blue. Didnt offer to change it for them....
And even after years of weathering in such environments, red/yellow/blue are still clearly distinguishable. Are brown/black/gray going to fare as well?

And even after years of weathering in such environments, red/yellow/blue are still clearly distinguishable. Are brown/black/gray going to fare as well?
No absolutely not.... should have stuck with RYB nice loud vivid colours that stick in your mind. grrrrr stooopid europeans....