6 terminal junction box

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have had this before but who cares, lets go again , the colour change was one of the most stupid things they have come up with.

To start with , the actual colours chosen are ridiculous , to make the black a phase is stupid , to make the blue (phase) a neutral is even more stupid, brown in a poor light looks like black and what the hell is grey all about !!!

In the domestic single phase situation, red meant live meant danger which made sense.

Thanks to this bloody stupid pandering to the EU the electrical system in this country will be using eight basic colours for years, with Green, Green/yellow, Red, Yellow, Blue, Black, Grey and Brown.

I'm amazed we have got this far without a major cock-up on the distribution side between the black and blue TBH

Deke

We have had this before but who cares, lets go again , the colour change was one of the most stupid things they have come up with. To start with , the actual colours chosen are ridiculous , to make the black a phase is stupid , to make the blue (phase) a neutral is even more stupid, brown in a poor light looks like black and what the hell is grey all about !!!

In the domestic single phase situation, red meant live meant danger which made sense.

Thanks to this bloody stupid pandering to the EU the electrical system in this country will be using eight basic colours for years, with Green, Green/yellow, Red, Yellow, Blue, Black, Grey and Brown.

I'm amazed we have got this far without a major cock-up on the distribution side between the black and blue TBH

Deke
And some of the three core and earth colours are so bad you cannot tell them apart under poor light another accident waiting to happen.

We have had this before but who cares, lets go again , the colour change was one of the most stupid things they have come up with. To start with , the actual colours chosen are ridiculous , to make the black a phase is stupid , to make the blue (phase) a neutral is even more stupid, brown in a poor light looks like black and what the hell is grey all about !!!

Deke
here here..... lets revolt agains the europeans.....

Although most European countries adopted brown/blue (plus in most cases some combination of brown & black for 3-phase) for fixed cabling long before it was foisted upon the U.K., I've never been able to find a definitive answer as to the origin of this system, and in particular the rationale behind choosing light blue for neutral (remember that the original specification calls for light blue, not the dark-blue neutral which is often found today).

I know that prior to adopting this system Germany and a few other countries used black=L, gray=N, red=E. France used white or gray for neutral, with various colors such as blue and red for phase, depending upon the system and age.