90V Battery?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemer

Reaction score
My local garage owner has been given an antique battery radio.

he rang me today and asked me if I was aware of such a thing as a 90v battery!

he says (as I have not seen it yet) that there is a 90v and a 1.5v battery in this radio.

He tells me that the 90v battery has expanded and is no use anymore.

I have never heard of such a thing but wondered if anyone on here has.

I intend to visit the garage and see for myself and hopefully take a picture.

If it's a battery operated valve radio then it's feasible that one of the batteries could be 90 volts although they were more often in the 40-60volt region.

There's a couple of options, you could build a homebrew 90VDC power supply or you can link up 10 x 9 volt batteries in series. This isn't as difficult as it sounds because the +ve terminal of one battery will plug directly into the -ve terminal of the next one. 

*Edit* Be warned if you plug the batteries into a valve device and the polarity is incorrect then you won't get a second chance, the damage to the valve(s) will be catastrophic. Please take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only the other day my mother was reminiscing of one of her weekly  childhood choirs, which was to get her fathers accumulators for his Cristal set recharged at the chemist. Half the people reading this wont have a clue what i am on about.

Many thanks to all who answered.

I can now print off all the info and pass it on to the garage owner, you never know I might get a discount the next time I put my car in!!!!!!

Cheers

Latest posts