A board I wouldn't use again .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you asked. In my opinion they look untidy and could be improved from a workmanship view point. I would have also considered using stuffing glands instead of those holes. 

I was was unsure about the earth link so I asked. I would rather by and fit a CU that did not need a sparks earth link to make it work. Horses for courses and all that. 

I ask ask this out of curiosity. If you do not build CUs and someone buys your gear and makes a right hash of it. Are you not scared someone will think it is a board manufactured by SBS?
I know this is directed at SBS Dave, however I would like to contribute. Use the de-scoob button when you have read all of my reply.

• Workmanship, this is not down to the manufacturer as this is a set procedure using BS standards, so that is down to the installer. You like, or you do not.
  • Stuffing glands serve a purpose, if that purpose is not here then why install them? Because you have been told to do so?
If I sell a car and the driver crashes it,does that reflect on the seller? The manufacturer? or the driver? There are so many holes in your basis for argument, that the only fact left is that whatever is said on this forum you will object to. If you are going to follow that path then please use facts to back up your opinions, if not you will end up like myself, feeling very silly on occasions.

As I said earlier. The work is very neat. I would just change that aspect of it. Almost anything I do when someone else looks at it could be improved. I don't get defensive. I listen and take it on board. 

I wont be descoobing anyone. I would rather post my dislike and stand by my comment. 

As for the last point. That is not a fair comparison. If someone bough a load of parts of say a BMW car and then put it all together them self then I am sure BMW would not be happy about it. It was a question out of curiosity. Not a criticism. 

With the application in the picture, the earth connections to the external earth reference bar require regular disconnection for testing, the slack allows this to be accomplished more easily, in the same way, not using glands does, it minimises the disturbance to the rest of the install.

I shall be "out of the office" for the next 8 days and no doubt this debate will continue.

Just a couple of points:-

If you buy an enclosure plus various separate DIN rail mounted devices from a Wholesaler and you make a hash of the assembly, nobody would think the Wholesaler was the manufacturer.

Since none of my current product range bears the SBS logo, I don't think the "scared" bit is relevant.  I am a Distributor, not a Manufacturer.

When I return to the Forum, I am sure Super will have posted a photo of one of his installs, to show how a DB should be wired.

In that way, many Forum Members, myself included, will benefit from his "teaching by example".

Good night to you all. I've got an early start tomorrow.

SBS Dave

I shall be "out of the office" for the next 8 days and no doubt this debate will continue.

Just a couple of points:-

If you buy an enclosure plus various separate DIN rail mounted devices from a Wholesaler and you make a hash of the assembly, nobody would think the Wholesaler was the manufacturer.

Since none of my current product range bears the SBS logo, I don't think the "scared" bit is relevant.  I am a Distributor, not a Manufacturer.

When I return to the Forum, I am sure Super will have posted a photo of one of his installs, to show how a DB should be wired.

In that way, many Forum Members, myself included, will benefit from his "teaching by example".

Good night to you all. I've got an early start tomorrow.

SBS Dave
I wish I could double scoob, what an excellent answer.

I must have got it wrong. Apologies. I thought the MCBs/RCBOs said SBS on them. Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick. 

I must have got it wrong. Apologies. I thought the MCBs/RCBOs said SBS on them. Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick. 
I really do think that you should read all comments in full. Speed reading leads to the assumptions you have come to use.