a few alarm questions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
when adding a sensor can it be just added onto an existing sensor or does it need to come straight from the pannel?

I recently disconnected and re-connected something on an alarm system, it looked like a bigger door sensor but it was just a small white block on the roof of a bathroom? aparantly the customer said it was installed and would go off if the windows were smashed? Is it some kind of shock sensor?

Whats the best sensor to protect a large roller shutter door?

Thanks

when adding a sensor can it be just added onto an existing sensor or does it need to come straight from the pannel?
You can extend an existing circuit but then you have no idea what device caused the alarm or fault at a later date so ideally wire everything as a device per zone.

I recently disconnected and re-connected something on an alarm system, it looked like a bigger door sensor but it was just a small white block on the roof of a bathroom? aparantly the customer said it was installed and would go off if the windows were smashed? Is it some kind of shock sensor?
Sounds like a shock sensor. Could have been a glass break detector but these are generally a bit larger than a JB.

Whats the best sensor to protect a large roller shutter door?
With roller shutter contacts I'd imagine. If it's a wide door install one at each end otherwise the door can be lifted one end and access gained without it triggering the contact.

you can also get some contacts wired into the roller mechanism for when the door is activated
Not much use when they just reverse a truck through the shutter. ;)

Never heard of a shock sensor that would work remote from the window itself. Might work if someone broke the window with a bus :^O