A laugh at my own expense!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had today off work so thought I'd get a few odd jobs tidied up - I installed an extra socket nice and successfully (socket tester says polarity ok and earth present, and there's electricity there).

Now my first 'incident' was down to my own stupidity. I plugged my socket tester into the socket I was going to take my feed from and all the lights lit up. I went down and turned off the MCB and removed the socket face-plate. To be 100% safe I tested with my new voltage tester - and it showed 50V and buzzed. So I got my Maplin multimeter out and it read 0V. I was pratting on for 10 minutes when I remembered the new tester was reading continuity! Blushing

After that my gf has been on at me to run a co-ax supply from the sky box to the bedroom. After my success, and since I had the house littered with tools I decided to get on with it. The house has 2 1/2 foot thick stone walls that take a bit of drilling, so out with me 6kg SDS and 1m 12mm drill bit. Hole 1 completed uneventfully. Now to drill out behind the TV I went 10-15cm to the side of the existing Sky cable.What I managed to do was emerge on the other side of the wall IN THE SAME HOLE!

Severing my sky cable in two :( . This was 6pm this evening so builders merchant locally closed, so I drove to B&Q - 45 mins away. Gathered up a waterproof enclosure, and discovered that they don't sell such a device as a Co-ax cable joint! I cobbled it together with connector strips and insulating tape housed in a waterproof enclosure. Took me about 3 hours to get back to where I was when I started Blushing:O

Was my fun afternoon

Sounds like he's already had a few of theseGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink about 8 am I would guess:^O. However tis good he can laugh at himself, I'm sure we've all done something equally as daft. I know I certainly have.

Sounds like he's already had a few of theseGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink about 8 am I would guess:^O. However tis good he can laugh at himself, I'm sure we've all done something equally as daft. I know I certainly have.
Ah!

but when you do something daft...........................

don't own up to it! :D ] :)

I remember drilling through a thick stone wall about 4 months ago, the drill went through the first stone OK then it found a lime mortar line and followed it.... it took me about 1 1/2 hours to get it out and then it was bent like a banana...

If you have damaged the cable I would think about replacing it completley as it likely to just cause you problems in the future!!

I remember drilling through a thick stone wall about 4 months ago, the drill went through the first stone OK then it found a lime mortar line and followed it.... it took me about 1 1/2 hours to get it out and then it was bent like a banana...If you have damaged the cable I would think about replacing it completley as it likely to just cause you problems in the future!!
I may well do that! Is the connection to the dish straightforward? Where can I get the double satellite cable from (on sky plus)?

Back to your problem, a quick look at maplin web site shows you can use two F plugs and a connector to join your coaxil cable think the bits come to about

Back to your problem, a quick look at maplin web site shows you can use two F plugs and a connector to join your coaxil cable think the bits come to about

patch, explain please, i have no keyboard. :_|
That's like saying 'Ive lost my voice' :D

Links are easy - go to page you want to link, right click on address bar at tp of page, then copy. Type message and paste (ctrl + V) link.

If you want to get dead technical - highlight a word or some words and then click on the mini-globe under the smilies face where you type messages and paste link there.

s'easy

I wouldn't put a jint in the cable (especially if it's outdoors) because water will get into it at some time and cause you a problem...

To get some cable (twin) when you see a sky installer (they are all sub contracted i think) ask them and they'll prob sell you some.

Can't possibly be that simpleBlushing. It must be time for bed. Remind me and one day I'll tell you how I took the wrong horse out for a ride where I used to work

I wouldn't put a jint in the cable (especially if it's outdoors) because water will get into it at some time and cause you a problem....
I had no choice - was an emergancy repair! Put it in an IP66 box with proper cable entry glands. Cables entering from below. Will do for the moment!

But I appreciate your input :D

there is a slighty esir way. will post when i get a keyboard.

admin if you dont have a keyboard how are you managing to type :eek: ;)
Badge if you are on Vista go to 'Start' --> 'Accssories' --> 'Ease of Access' and you'll find the on screen keyboard :)

my guess