adverts

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
Back on the old subject...

Where does most of you work coming from at the moment? Local rag? Yell.com?

I stuck a ad in the local this week to see what happens, looking though the same people are in there every week, 3 sparks and 8 plumbers and some guy that will do anything apparently.

How many call are coming from you local?

Not much about M8.

We've had many threads on this and views differ but your local paper was deemed to be the best option IIRC.

I always worked on recommendations Industrially, commercially and domestically so never advertised until 3 years ago (Yellow Pages) ( Don't think the response covered the cost of the ad TBH) but these are the worst times ever . Labour had about 3.5 million out of work once but I think the self employed were not affected as we are this time.

They decided , in their wisdom , to tax all the high earners , the movers and shakers, The Beatles for instance, were paying 95p in the

Not much about M8.We've had many threads on this and views differ but your local paper was deemed to be the best option IIRC.

I always worked on recommendations Industrially, commercially and domestically so never advertised until 3 years ago (Yellow Pages) ( Don't think the response covered the cost of the ad TBH) but these are the worst times ever . Labour had about 3.5 million out of work once but I think the self employed were not affected as we are this time.

They decided , in their wisdom , to tax all the high earners , the movers and shakers, The Beatles for instance, were paying 95p in the

I'm having a busy time at the moment with 3 rewires in the offing plus various other jobs. I have tried everything and they are now reaping their rewards.

I'm in yellow pages which now it is smaller seems to be better as only the paid adverts appear in the category listings and it fits through letter boxes so stands a chance of being delivered.

I've got my own website which is professionally created and hosted so it is actually found when people search for electricians in my area and I come out at on the top of the listings.

I advertise in the local parish mag which brings the smallest jobs but these usually bring the best recommendations which leads to the bigger jobs.

I leave my business cards with other local shops, cafe's etc which i do the odd favour for and they then recommend me to their customers.

I always leave more than one business card with customers when i finish a job so they have one to pass on to their friends and neighbours.

I've also got my van sign written which since I had it done has brought in a few jobs and raised my profile in the area.

There is work out there but you have to make people aware of your existence.

Its all a bit funny at moment. couple of months ago i was quiet, working half weeks. now Im really busy, cant seem to get enough done in a day, I havent changed my marketing. I did start doing a website, but not had time to finish it. I have an advert in a local mag, and thats about it really. Its the size up from smallest, which is

just a note about your website, when you click the link to the ESC under testing and inspection it opens the link in the same internet window as your website, so it disappears and can be retrieved by clicking the back button, would it not be better so that when you click the link it opens the page in a new window, thereby keeping your website still open.

I know, it does sound expensive. It covers the whole area of my city and surrounding areas where i work. Im not too sure of the cost per head etc, all i know is it works. I get loads of callouts/little jobs from it and a fair few big jobs. The reason i like the mag is because unlike yellow pages it goes out every month. When the yellow pages is binned its gone for the year.

johninlondon- I know the sites a right state! Its half finished, not really sure why i put it up yet. Just not had time to do it. Been at it since christmas.

It covers the whole area of my city and surrounding areas where i work......
That is actually another very valid consideration as to the best place to put your advertising money...

Depending upon where you actually live in the country...

a larger geographical area could actually be a smaller rural population coverage than

a smaller geographical area that covers a larger population in built-up city areas..!

(IMHO it is more people coverage that gives greater chance of response..)

As with many things there is no one-size fits all answer that will be the best for all business!

:) Guinness

I am flat out and have been for the past 13 months with only 5 days with no site work for 2/3 of us in that time. I do consider us to be lucky as I know some have little or no work. I think the key is just to bash away creating relationships. Most of my work is word of mouth or repeat business but I also get bagfuls of new enquiries which come from my website. I also spend

Latest posts