Advice on feeding solar Hybrid inverter off Sub Board

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willspark

Reaction score
Hi,
Im about to do my first solar project. I've have completed my Bpec PV course and have been a time served spark for 22 years.
I plan to install a 5.4KW Array and 5.4KW of battery storage on a large garrage building. The Garage has its own DB that is feed from another larger sub DB in the main house.
As the garage DB is full i intend to split the tails feeding the garage DB and install a small dedicated PV DB. I will then feed the inverter from the new PV DB with an MCB. I'm also running a cable back to the main intake for the CT for the inverter.
Am i correct in saying all i then need to do is affix warning labels at every DB all the way back to the main intake?
Is there anything else i should consider?

Cheers
Will

Hi,
Im about to do my first solar project. I've have completed my Bpec PV course and have been a time served spark for 22 years.
I plan to install a 5.4KW Array and 5.4KW of battery storage on a large garrage building. The Garage has its own DB that is feed from another larger sub DB in the main house.
As the garage DB is full i intend to split the tails feeding the garage DB and install a small dedicated PV DB. I will then feed the inverter from the new PV DB with an MCB. I'm also running a cable back to the main intake for the CT for the inverter.
Am i correct in saying all i then need to do is affix warning labels at every DB all the way back to the main intake?
Is there anything else i should consider?

Cheers
Will
You need dual supply labels for the solar side.

Why not change the garage DB for a larger board?

Thanks for the reply. With regards to changing the garage DB. Installing a small PV DB next to the existing Board just seemed an simpler way of doing it, and not having to change the whole garage DB. Also trying to keep the cost down for the customer.
Obviously want everything to be safe and to regs, as this will be my first Solar project.

Thanks for the reply. With regards to changing the garage DB. Installing a small PV DB next to the existing Board just seemed an simpler way of doing it, and not having to change the whole garage DB. Also trying to keep the cost down for the customer.
Obviously want everything to be safe and to regs, as this will be my first Solar project.
Upto you, but if you have seen some of the prices being charged for solar, a DB is a tiny cost.

Are you MCS registered?
No, I do intend to get MCS, depending on how much interest I get from the solar. I’ve explained to the client and they are happy that they will not be able to claim the smart export guarantee. Which in my eyes is hardly worth it anyway. 3p KWH with current supplier.
Can you give any advise on feeding from a sub board?