Advice on popping\banging noise

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booie

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice.  I have a property that I rent and the tenant has recently reported a banging\popping noise in the kitchen.  I initially thought it was something to do with the dishwasher but after disconnecting it from the electrical socket and leaving it for 24 hours, the tenant still heard the noise.  They also explained that the lights flicker when it happens which leads me to think it is an electrical issue rather than a plumbing issue.  I visited the property today and removed all of the 13amp sockets in the kitchen to check for loose connections or any indication of arcing but could not find anything wrong.  None of the fuses in the CU ever break.

Has anyone experienced anything similar who could give me some advice on what it could be?

Thanks.

bangs can be a few things, including faulty cables & connections. really, it needs checked by someone competent, rather thant he usual landlord DIY and hope for the best

wonder if the fuses never break because instead of the rated value fuse its wrapped in something that wont blow?

Last one I had with this, turned out to be a cable trapped and pinched under a joist, it has probably been like it for 30 or more years but only just decided to start getting bothered about it.

WELL overdue for an EICR and some more investigation, but it should be easy to find the section of cable at fault with an I/R tester.

The last one I had like this was where somebody had obviously put a nail through a cable during a rewire - about 30 years ago - the cable had just had enough. Shame about the plaster I had to remove to locate the fault.

Best for the OP is to use a local spark through recommendation and get them to investigate

Sounds like a new fuseboard is in order too and an EICR - however these expenses will make the home safer and the landlords duty of care will be well and truly ticked off

The last one I had like this was where somebody had obviously put a nail through a cable during a rewire - about 30 years ago - the cable had just had enough. Shame about the plaster I had to remove to locate the fault.

Best for the OP is to use a local spark through recommendation and get them to investigate

Sounds like a new fuseboard is in order too and an EICR - however these expenses will make the home safer and the landlords duty of care will be well and truly ticked off

Listen to Murdoch.... [You know it makes sense..]

Bear this in mind:

Once, when i was about 12, i read in a book on electrical work that; "Always remember when you do any electrical work, that one day you may be called on to give evidence in a coroners court"

john....

I had a similar complaint, turned out to be a cable pierced with a screw shorting out to copper pipework under the bath and occasionally shorting across a plastic elbow on the pipe - bastard narely killed me! Old re-wireable fuse board and not an RCD in sight. Customer seemed surprised by my 'choice language'   :swear:

One of the best / worse I encountered was where Barry the bathroom fitter chose to also do electrics. His shower frame fixing screw clipped into the switched live of his new light switch .... so when the elderly lady turned on the lights the shower frame was at 230 volts ..

Latest posts