Advice Please On Low Voltage Icon When Ir Lamps Are On (Ptz Cam)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank3zzz

Reaction score
Hello to all,

I'm new to this forum, but would welcome the advice on an issue encountered after installation of a large, outdoor PTZ cam.

The camera is a DC 12V (+/-10%) 50W and is connected by standard BNC cons at the end of a brand-new combined co-axial/twin power lead cable.  The run is exactly 24m and is free from breaks, damage, kinks or loss of any kind.  Video signal is excellent, and the power supply is fine, too - through the day.

At night, when the very large, ultra-strong IR lamps switch on, the OSD shows a 'low battery' icon.  The on-screen indicated voltage when all lamps are on is 7.2V.

Through the day, all is fine, and when I measured the voltage just now, the output from the PSU is 12.6V.  At the camera end, it is 12.23V, so not a critical loss over the 24m run.

I wouldn't have noticed the low battery indicator at night, except that when the IR lamps focus on a nearby tree, I suddenly lose the Tilt function.  And even when I try to Pan, movement is hesitant.  However, once I manage to 'free' the IR beam's central focus point from the nearby object, I have control again.  Also, when the Tilt function freezes, I can only overcome the problem by zooming closer to that object, thereby allowing me to regain Tilt function.  It's as if the cam was programmed to auto-track, or auto-lock onto the object, but while it may well be capable of such functions, they are all currently set to OFF.

My over-riding concern is that the PSU might be borderline/under-rated and may well be causing the issues (when on full load).  At 12V 50W peak, it would be drawing circa 4.99A.  The PSU has a 12V 5A output, so I'm thinking that might be the issue.

Any and all advice would be very welcome.

Sounds like the PSU is overloading. Increase the PSU.

I assume your controlling the PTZ with signals via the coax? Unless you've got it wrong and if so you'll need to run another cable if you've only got a coax and a twin.