Advice Please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Prodave,,

That is what i mean.... You could pass your HGV [They used to use, and presumably still do, an easy to drive thing with a basic gearbox] and not have a clue.... Bit like the 5WW....

How it works in most trucks with a proper gearbox [not the modern auto stuff a halfwit can [and probably does! drive]

Now, bear in mind there are loads of permutations, some based on a three speed gearbox, and just to make it fun they often swap the gear positions about!!

Not counting "crawler" You start off in 1st, then you flick a switch and then dip the clutch [to operate the splitter]. You are now in 2nd. You then flick the switch off again, and change to second [Eh!!] you are now in 3rd, flick the switch, dip the clutch, and you are in 4th!! You work your way up, until you are in "proper" fourth, with the splitter on. You then flick the splitter off, flick the rangechange switch, and CHANGE BACK TO 1ST AGAIN!!!!! You are now in 9th....

This arrangement gives you 16 speeds, oh, amd the nicest to use boxes have no syncro so you have to double de-clutch not just changing down, but changing up as well!!!!! [at least you do if you can drive properly]

You can be slowing down and want to change down a few gears. This might involve operating the range change and the splitter and moving the gearlever from 1st to 3rd [even though you are changing down, do not forget you will have gone from high to low range as part of the gear change!!!

Much fun though!!

john....

People always ask "what gear are you in! Truth is, you have no idea!! You just keep changing up and down as needed..

But what was with the thing where some gear changes I was told to do just moving the stick, not using the clutch pedal?  It seemed to work, nothing grated, but it just felt wrong.  And don't ask me the make of the truck, it was old, very old and only used around the farm, probably no longer roadworthy.

Not sure.. You can change gear fairly easily without the clutch mind, just get the revs right! is not that hard!! Might have been some sort of prehistoric semi auto thing, like leyland buses used to have!!

john..

it is possible to change career, I did, but I had an electrical/ mechanical background to start with, I also have a wife whose stable salary could pay the bills whilst I peed about learning to be a sparky. I would now like to think I am more knowlegable about electrics than many time served sparkies, including the guys i employ, at least at domestic level. but I also have to say i put in a great deal of effort to learn good working practice on forums like this and spent time with experienced sparkies. It was a slow process and i'm still learning 10 years in.

I'm really not sure what to do now then?! maybe stick with mechanical engineering, since i've just got the qual.
I'd say have a good think about what your current skills are. Write them down. Don't just think about what you are trained to do, ie xyz qualification in mechanical engineering, think more about what you need to do what you do - eg. fault finding and problem solving, decision making, time management, communication, working alone or in a team, self discipline, whatever.

Then think about what on that list you are really good at and enjoy. What motivates you to get out of bed in the morning?

If you think a bit laterally about this you might be surpised how diverse the list is!

Now all you need to do is find a career that matches those things ;)

If you post the list on various forums and discuss with with recruitment agencies etc you should get some pointers and you might be surpised which way it takes you.

Which ever way you go you are likely to find you need more experience, training etc but worry about that later.

fwiw, my view on being a domestic electrician is that it is 75% about running a business and dealing with customers and 25% about electrical knowledge. That 25% is very important of course but easily learnt (assuming you have an engineering mindset).