Advice please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karbon

Reaction score
Hi,

I worked as an apprentice electrician for 4 years when I left school before joining the fire service, we are talking 28 years ago!!! so I was qualified to 15th edition. I’ve left the fire service now and would like to get myself back to the electrics, can anyone tell me what courses I need to do to become re-qualified again.

many thanks

You need to get the 18th as a minimum and if you plan to do domestic and if you live in England or Wales you’ll probably need to be a CPS member to ensure Part P self certification

welcome to the madhouse BTW

Thanks for the reply, do you think I would need to do a full 18th edition course or is there a course that upgrades from 15 th? Obviously part p was non existent when I qualified, does that deal with testing ?

Hi,

I worked as an apprentice electrician for 4 years when I left school before joining the fire service, we are talking 28 years ago!!! so I was qualified to 15th edition. I’ve left the fire service now and would like to get myself back to the electrics, can anyone tell me what courses I need to do to become re-qualified again.

many thanks

Hi, welcome to the forum...   Guinness

(At the moment the virtual bar is on the third floor, turn left as you come out of the lift... 

But the Admins move it every other week to keep us on our toes!!!)

I assume you have some City & Guilds qualifications from your experiences of 28 years ago?

Have you thought of asking City & Guilds themselves what they suggest are the appropriate courses to bring your qualifications up to date..?

Once you know what qualifications you need, you can then start looking for places that provide suitable courses & exams, local to where you live..

I'd drop them an e-mail, see what they say?

https://www.cityandguilds.com/help/contact-us

After all..

If City & Guilds themselves don't know what content their courses cover..

you really will be struggling to get a definitive answer from anywhere..  

:Y