Advice re fuse box

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky26

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am an electrician working on the railway and re-wiring a friends house. Total re-wire. Im using a dual rcd board.

I am happy with my upstairs/downstairs lighting and ring mains and know what way to have them on each rcd.

I just have a few questions regarding:-

I am going to wire the kitchen as a seperate ring main. IS THAT OK FOR ALL THE APPLIANCES ETC??

going to put the boiler on its own mcb, 16A fuse spur connection with 3A fuse. OK??

I've put a single 2.5mm feed outside for a future conservatory to wire a radial circuit say 3 sockets on a 16A (20A?) breaker?

also put a single 2.5mm feed outside for outside sockets for pond equipment/lighting etc to again wire a radial circuit 16A OR 20A??

Feel free to give me any pointers or comments on what I am doing, much appreciated fellow sparks

Hi Nozspark, I thought the same as you, if the load on the circuit is only going to be 3A max why the big mcb on the back of it? I have checked my Grandma's house which was recently done by the council and they have the boiler on a 16A mcb so just assumed that was the way to go???

Hi Everyone,I am an electrician working on the railway and re-wiring a friends house. Total re-wire. Im using a dual rcd board.

I am happy with my upstairs/downstairs lighting and ring mains and know what way to have them on each rcd.

I just have a few questions regarding:-

I am going to wire the kitchen as a seperate ring main. IS THAT OK FOR ALL THE APPLIANCES ETC??

going to put the boiler on its own mcb, 16A fuse spur connection with 3A fuse. OK??

I've put a single 2.5mm feed outside for a future conservatory to wire a radial circuit say 3 sockets on a 16A (20A?) breaker?

also put a single 2.5mm feed outside for outside sockets for pond equipment/lighting etc to again wire a radial circuit 16A OR 20A??

Feel free to give me any pointers or comments on what I am doing, much appreciated fellow sparks
Who's notifying it then......... :run

Just because it has it doesn't mean it needs it,, think about the design (loads, installation method and length of circuit) and work it out from there

Many people wire things a particular way because they can't be bothered to think:O

True. I just assumed that the council have to wire to the regs etc and it would be tested so the design of the circuits would be correct.

Hi Nozspark, I thought the same as you, if the load on the circuit is only going to be 3A max why the big mcb on the back of it? I have checked my Grandma's house which was recently done by the council and they have the boiler on a 16A mcb so just assumed that was the way to go???
May have immersion on there too or if combi boiler, it may have had immersion on there in the past.... But what you've run is fine. TBH I always run 2.5 16 amp even to combi.... What a waste every time I think to myself after I've done it!! You could put it on the ring but I like to keep it seperate TBH.... God knows why I do this!!! What a numpty I'm been doing it as I do..... I must stop....!!!

just want to seperate the circuits, if there is ever a problem with the kitchen ring at least the boile would still work. That was my way of thinking. got plenty of spare ways on the fuse box :)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:38 ----------

the customer :)

Hi sparky 26

You do realise this is all notifiable work under Part P Building regulations.

Have you notified your local building control in advance you are doing this Job?

oh ok. this is my first big experience of doing a house so just wanted it to be right.

The Council, mate , they seem to operate a system of rewiring their houses by (a) the cheapest contractor they can find, (B) who, to make it pay , needs to complete the rewire in one day . © Including testing and certify .

There are one or two comments that are heard quite often , which raise a sardonic smile I'm afraid :-

1)

"Oooh it was rewired properly, the Council did it "!

and

2)

"Oh we made sure it was done properly , we had a Fireman in to do it "

Or

3)

We had it done right , the Brother -in-Law is a Builder.

Anything but get a Sparks in .

Thanks Evans, I was worried then!! must be sad if that's the case!! suppose these people can wire a plug so think they can wire a house!!! all end in tears!!!!

There's more than 1 way to connect up a boiler, it usually comes down to cost. 1mm on 6A mcb is cheaper to run than 2.5mm on 16A. However a 16a circuit gives you the advantage of being able to add to it in the boiler room at a later date, thus saving money in the future.

If you are worried about having kitchen appliances on a seperate circuit and the problems with overloading have a look at existing set up. How many ring final circuits at pre- rewire? Probably 1. How many times has the circuit overloaded previously? Probably never. 3 x 32A ring circuits gives you 96 Amps for socket outlets which is a considerable amount, don't forget to allow for diversity. Good practice would be to have at least 2 socket circuits in a normal house.

To do it right make sure Part P is complied with therefore testing, inspection, certification, notification etc...

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:12 ----------

The Council, mate , they seem to operate a system of rewiring their houses by (a) the cheapest contractor they can find, (B) who, to make it pay , needs to complete the rewire in one day . © Including testing and certify . There are one or two comments that are heard quite often , which raise a sardonic smile I'm afraid :-

1)

and

2)

Or

3)

Doesn't number 2 turn up after number 3 to douse the flames?

Did you consider using RCBOs on every circuit that will require RCD protection, instead of a dual RCD board ? Cost a bit more but the advantage is that you only loose 1 circuit instead of a group if theres an earth leakage fault.

Must post the pics of the state my mums old house was left in after the council did electrical "upgrades" including leaving the gas bind disconnected and brown tape blanking off spare ways in the CU

a point to note is many houses have only one ring final it s not uncommon, so a separate circuit for the kitchen should be fine unless your frend has a home run laundrette

The Council, mate , they seem to operate a system of rewiring their houses by (a) the cheapest contractor they can find, (B) who, to make it pay , needs to complete the rewire in one day . © Including testing and certify . There are one or two comments that are heard quite often , which raise a sardonic smile I'm afraid :-

1)

and

2)

Or

3)

You forgot number 4

"It was done properly - the bloke said he'd just finished a 5 week course"

Latest posts