Agriculture installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneds1

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Well here we go this is my first post since joining this forum. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The company i am working for has 3 large sheds, 2 for cattle and one for miscellaneous storage. The sheds are joined together and in total are approx 80m x 35m. There is a small consumer unit, fed by a 10mm 3 core SWA, in the first shed with 6 circuits on it. 4 lighting circuits each on 10 amp mcbs, wired in 1.5mm fp200. 2 ring mains on 32A mcbs wired in 2.5mm fp200.

So here is the problem. My boss wants to put a power washer in another shed and wire it from the ring main of the 3rd shed. The new small shed will be about 60m from the existing sheds and he is talking about having a couple of lights, 1 inside and 1 floodlight over the wash bay, a small heater that will come on to stop the power washer freezing up in winter and a 3kw power washer. I know that you can spur off the double socket but i'm not sure if the 60-80m run is too long and even then you can only fit one socket which would do for the heater and power washer but not the lighting. If i put a spur next to the existing socket then i could fit more in the shed but it would exceed the 13a fuse in the spur. To wire straight from the consumer unit the run, i done a quick estimate, would be approx 200m. I done the cable size calculator and it was coming up with a 25mm SWA. So here is where i've got to. Looking for some good advice. I hope i have put in enough infomation, if you need more plz ask. No worries.

Please help.

cheers

?:|

1 biggie - what`s the earthing system?

You`d need a sub-main; the question is from where?

The 10mm 3 core feeding the first shed comes from where? What is the OCPD on that cable? Is the existing 10mm sub going to be capable of carrying the increased load?

(BTW, I have a NEW petrol pressure washer for sale - never been used ;) 2500psi ).

Which is basically a way of saying that it may be cheaper to look at alternative options here........

Bit more info required please, from the incomer onwards.

Well loads of variables here.

First is what KME has asked ;

1. what is the supply SP or TP.
  2. Is the sub to first shed directly off the dno supply.
  3. what is the ocpd of the submain.
  4. How far is shed 1 from the supply location.
  5. why use FP200 in a cattle shed? (not relevant just wondered why tube or MI hadnt been used).
  6. RCD anywhere on your installation.

One option

Upgrade to 25mm the swa submain (& supplying switch gear) that feeds shed 1.

Then run from the db in shed 1 a smaller submain (possibly use the swa you have replaced at shed 1) to shed 3 & install a db there.

Then put in a smaller csa submain to the new shed where you can fit a db & put in your one socket & lighting..

thanks for the good replies guys. Unfortunately i have to go out to work just now so i'll get back on this post when i return.

Thanks again.

cheers

Allan