Ah! There It Is!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicky Tesla

Reaction score
Looked all over the house for the fuse board, eventually found it hidden behind the gas meter and then hidden behind the kitchen unit.  This has got to be the worst DB position iv ever seen.

2015-04-04 14.08.56.jpg2015-04-04 14.09.16.jpg

Are you quoting for a CU change?

Gas bonding should be easy if it's not there already (that's about all that will be easy)

Meter is probably behind the washing machine?

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG That has got to be in the top 10 worst DB locations!

:lol:

Surely there must be a (gas?) regulation agains this sort of thing??? I say That knowing there probably isnt given some of the odd locations we find these things in!

As for the cupboard....

Husqvarna%20555%20Chainsaw.gif

Well there is an electrical one....Gas metering and pipework needs to be >150mm from electrical distribution equipment or be separated by a barrier... I guess that'll be the cabinet back then ;)

Surely there must be a (gas?) regulation agains this sort of thing
yep; GSIUR 12 (3) "No person shall install a meter unless the installation is so placed as to ensure that there is no risk of damage to it from electrical apparatus"

distances are specified in the appropriate standards apparently, will need to check these but 150mm rings a bell.

If the meter touches electrical apparatus (metal I assume) then it is "at risk".

Last edited by a moderator:
i think someone needs to re-word it to 'at least 150mm to the side, and not placed infront' instead of current 'providing its more than 150mm, it can still be in front making access to equipment behind really awkward, if not impossible'

but then what else do you expect from failed electricians plumbers

Unless the gas meter was there all the time and the spark decided to struggle like a barsteward and fit the unit behind the gas meter...doubt it though

Gas board have just been to a job near me, fitted two new meters, now the cupboard door will not shut!

It closed with the two old meters in it and they were smaller

Just saying

Lead gas outlet pipe is old, meter and governor are recent.

Rewireable fusebox is old.

Kitchen looks to be the newest addition.

I think that work on the fusebox would be do-able, if the worktop, cupboard and washing machine were not there.

The bracket on the gas meter does not look to be fixed to anything, and it seems that the meter is resting on the floor of the cupboard. I would be tempted to re-site the meter to the RH wall and re-do the outlet gas pipework in 22mm to the next barrel joint below the cupboard.

Thats just another example of Kitchen Fitter Syndrome I'd say .

I have one to put right , possibly this week .    Bloke fits a new kitchen , takes forever apparently , the lady says" When is the electrician coming"? 

Told it doesn't include electrics , I don't do them !     

All fitted but no electrics .

Why the hell didn't he tell them ?

Theres one by me , new kitchen fitted , they ask me to look at moving the fuseboard  .

To get to it  you open a double door floor unit ...fetch all the stuff out ...crawl on belly inside with torch... fuseboard & meter right up the corner . 

The first part of that re-furb should have been ...meter & board moved ,  but they are not interested are they ...just get their stuff fitted , paid & it's all your problem now . 

I didn't do it by the way .

I appreciate gas, plumbing and electrics, they have definitely improved the quality my life, don't know what I would do without them, gis a job.

Looking at it again, I think the meter was originally on the RH wall, and the kitchen fitters moved it, and refitted the lead pipe. There is a brass connection between the lead and the barrel.