Ahhh Snow

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froria

Reaction score
I love it jus sit in and do nothing. And yes I am self employed but hey lets relax.  Anyone else joining me? Ill make a cuppa 4 ya

Yup, we closed for the day and looks like we will be closed Monday too (Gloucestershire). Anticipated it so was an easy call to make. Just spent the morning bombing around in my Landrover admiring the idiots who have taken their lives into their own hands and got stuck. Just seen an 80 grand range rover overshoot a bend and smash through a cotswold stone wall. I did chuckle - probably not nice but hey!

Eventually I'm home..................after admiring some idiotic driving by most drivers who need to learn how to use the gears to slow up rather than the brakes.

I think ,because we've not had very bad winters for some years now , the newer drivers havn't got a clue how to drive in it .  

I don't like to keep harking back , it can be a bore , but we had much more snow late 60s  & early 70s  and most of us were still driving rear wheel drive cars  and still managed to get around .

ive been to telford today to rewire a cooker supply took me nearly two hours to get there and then 2 and half hours to get home this afternoon, idoits seen invcluding people dsriving stupidly and not using gears to slow engine, and also pedestrians standing in middle of road on junctions!! when theres snow/ice on thge road complete :eek: ankers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did go to doctors first thing then to a customers to reprogram a stat. This was before it started coming down fast. The rewire I am doing is up a quite steep hill so I declined. Even if I managed to get there I was concerned I wouldn't be able to get home. The thing is I would rather loose a days pay than write my van off. There is always next week.

Batty, you are bang on mate. My vans have a £750 excess and I'm just not happy to mess around and risk it! I leave the dare devil stuff to my off-roader

I`m with Deke. WE had a ....wait for it..........RED WARNING for SNOW!!!!!  Step back in amazement......Serious Implications - -we could get up to 25cm on high ground......

So you see the news reporters who decide they must do the news from the side of a field, `cos its snowed a bit

" We`ve got almost a foot of snow here"....camera pans out, and you can easily see the reporters shoes - I didn`t know they made platforms that big :slap

"Treacherous, zero visibility....look"

Yes, there`s a dusting on the road, and you can see 200-300 yds - " Its a whiteout".

:slap :slap

That ain`t a red warning for a blizzard guys - its a bit of snow, which tends to happen in winter. If you can`t drive in snow; have never been taught to drive in snow, or are scared to drive in snow.....................DON`T!

I am always reminded of a news report I saw 30 years ago.

A remote Yorkshire Dales village that had been "Cut of from the rest of the world for 5 days", the tv crew got a place on the snowplow that was liberating them.

As the plow broke into the village the reporter got out and approached the first resident he saw.

Him - "How has this weather affected you over the last week"

Her - (After a short pause for thought) "Well after the Milkman delivers the milk we have to take it in before it freezes, and the paperboy has been a bit late on a couple of days, and twice we had to wait until 10:00AM for the post"

Him - "And how do you think this will affect your income this year?"

Her - "I'm not sure, you will have to ask my Husband, he should be back about 6 he had to go to Whitby this morning"

At the time I was a delivery driver and had actually delivered to the village in question the day before, it wasn't cut of, it just looked impressive, a bit of a bobsleigh run to get in because the snow was about 6 foot high on each side of the road,   nowhere to go if something was coming up.

The local farmers had kept the road clear from the start using tractors, but it looked good on tv.

2 years ago, the BBC crew were camped out in the tiny hamlet of Altnahara about 50 miles up the road from me (yes there are a few places north of here) because for night on end it was the coldest place in the UK.

Must have been good business for the one hotel in the village.

I did two jobs in London today and set off home around 16:30 and got home around 20:30, almost normal time, the third lane was clear all the way home, OK it was full of snow so nearly all drivers avoided it.

I learned to drive in the snow (in a foreign country) so I am well aquainted with what you can and can not do in the snow, I would think that for those who saw me in the third lane overtaking them thought I was crazy. Simple rules, do not brake, do not over excellerate, when taking a bend reduce your revs and make gradual constant changes and keep your distance.

I find the fresh snow is OK to drive in its when its compacted down with ice underneath that is the problem especially in my van you just don't have any control.

Just spent 3 hours messing about with a swa outside in this weather been putting it off since before Xmas what a mare the sheathing wouldn't come off as it was all froze

Never again

Just spent 3 hours messing about with a swa outside in this weather been putting it off since before Xmas what a mare the sheathing wouldn't come off as it was all froze

Never again
According to good practice guides any electrical cable should not be installed in sub zero temperatures due to the brittle nature and consequential damge that can be caused to the insulation.

Well thats what I heard anyway.

According to my working life I can't pick to do the job when the sun is out

Just my luck that most outdoor jobs I do it either p***es it down or on this occasion decides to cover the ground in the white stuff

Next time ill tell the client this and she will just get someone else to do it