Air compressor start run capacitor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought..

I have seen loads of small compressors burn out as there was excessive volt drop when starting, Measure the supply impedance and see what the voltage will be with 70A across it..

john..
A good point John, a mate of mine used to do up old Ford Capri's, ( well somebody had too) he decided to double the size of his garage, and add a bigger compressor, his old one worked fine but he had nothing but trouble with the new one, the fact the garage was fed off a 2.5 spurred off a socket in the house, probably didn't help!

Anyway I ended up running a new 6mm feed direct from the mains, problem solved, I suspect he didn't understand the bit in the instructions that said it should be connected to a 16A supply.

Just as an update, I fitted a new pressure switch with unloaded valve as per Marvo's suggestion and another 200uf start capacitor, starts a treat hopefully this time it will last a bit longer than a month.

Cheers gents.