Alarm Pir's Orientation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safedepth

Reaction score
Evening all,

I don't do alarms but was asked by a customer today if this detector was upside down. I explained my position but said I would enquire. It is part of an Accenta G4 set up but the website does not show specific detectors. Could these have been selected at random and not as part of this install?

To me it looks ok but as I say I don't do alarms, does it matter which way up it goes?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Bigger copy added.

IMG_0365 Compressed1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
some PIR's do have th 'window' bit to the top, although its hard to see anything in that pic
Thanks Andy, I've added a bigger picture.

Unfortunately there was no indication of maker or brand that I could see so I can give you no more information.

dont recognise that one, but one give away is the screw - almost guaranteed to be on the bottom, so if its on the top its probably upside down

other option is to remove the cover and look at the board, see if the writing is upside down

EDIT: or as manator says, its upside down...

Some installers fit them upside if there are pets in the house, but much lower than that, so that it catches the upper body.
Very true, I had to do this for some outside lighting, urban foxes were lighting up the building during the night. For intruder alarms I always like to use the correct detectors, and always set them at the correct height settings.

Its the detection field Matty, the way its fitted at the moment it will miss anything walking in the room, but will pick up all the spiders on the ceiling.

Badger, Maybe, I fitted them over 10 years ago when I bought the house, along with Pyronix control panel and keypad, still working fine.

Have not bothered replacing the SAB module in the outside bell, but change the panel battery every 2 years.

As manator says...

It is upside down!!!! :shakehead

If you pop the cover off.. they look like this inside..

Note the direction of the keyhole fixing knockouts when the PCb is moved...!

If pets are an issue should get pet tolerant sensors....

Or program partially set zones while pets are in the house...

IMG-20121019-00806.jpg

IMG-20121019-00807.jpg

Thanks for that.

I'll turn it round if I get the work I was quoting for. I've told them it is upside down so at least they know.

Just glancing through old posts, came across this one...

The easiest way to check is to walk test the area. If the l.e.d. flicks on and off as you walk, the unit is picking you up ... it's mounted correctly. (and you won't catch spiderman).

Latest posts