Am I missing something?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting point BS, just when I thought I had things sussed.

Regarding the grouping issue I just noticed Note 1 under table 4C1 (page 268) which states:

"These factors are applicable to uniform groups of cables equally loaded"

Does that mean I only need to consider the cables that make up the circuit since they will be the only ones that are 'equally loaded'.......

Can of worms.....

Sorry to be still going on about this. I am using the formula Iz = In/Cg

If thats the case then 2 circuits ran together method b gives a factor of 0.8 (4C1 p268)

That means In (value of CB) which is usually 32/ Cg which is 0.8

That comes to 40A which means 6mm for a ring circuit and thats before factoring in length of circuit etc....

Someone please tell me this doesnt apply to Ring circuits!

Hi there - been trying to get my head around calculating cable size in a ring final circuit. Its 100M in length in singles in conduit. Trying to work out the volt drop etc - vd x A x M/1000

cant use the 100M figure as its not a radial.

R1+R2 works out at 0.23ohms for 4mm singles and 0.37ohms for 2.5mm.

I know its relatively simple and I know I am missing something basic but its friday night and I want to get cracking on this assignment!

Thanks guys
When calculating the volt drop on a ring your equation should read

VD = (vd x A x m) / 4000

Basically this is your equation (as used on radials) divided by 4. The furthest point on the ring is half way - so divide by 2 for 2 cable runs. Each leg carries half the current, so divide by 2 again.

Sorry to be still going on about this. I am using the formula Iz = In/CgIf thats the case then 2 circuits ran together method b gives a factor of 0.8 (4C1 p268)

That comes to 40A which means 6mm for a ring circuit and thats before factoring in length of circuit etc....

Thanks PC - understood, I got there by a slightly different route. But the above is what is getting on my wick at the mo!

Sorry to be still going on about this. I am using the formula Iz = In/CgIf thats the case then 2 circuits ran together method b gives a factor of 0.8 (4C1 p268)

So by using the Cg 0.8 you get a current requirement that is 1.25 times larger, ie 40A. Now, for a standard ring circuit on 32A each leg is required to have a current rating of 20A. So if our 32A is increased by 1.25, then this requirement is also increased by 1.25, ie 20 x 1.25 = 25A. Looking up cables in table 4D2A the minimum cable size that gives a rating of 25A in method B is 4mm.

There isn't much in it actually as 2.5 is rated at 23A method B! So if in the real world you considered it was likely to be a lightly loaded ring or very unlikley to be fully loaded continuously then you could still use 2.5mm (in a domestic environment).

So by using the Cg 0.8 you get a current requirement that is 1.25 times larger, ie 40A. Now, for a standard ring circuit on 32A each leg is required to have a current rating of 20A. So if our 32A is increased by 1.25, then this requirement is also increased by 1.25, ie 20 x 1.25 = 25A. Looking up cables in table 4D2A the minimum cable size that gives a rating of 25A in method B is 4mm.There isn't much in it actually as 2.5 is rated at 23A method B! So if in the real world you considered it was likely to be a lightly loaded ring or very unlikley to be fully loaded continuously then you could still use 2.5mm (in a domestic environment).
Thanks PC that is starting to make some sense! I was getting confused by the ring legs. Dont remember them covering this on the course!

Its a commercial location - a village hall so will put it in 4mm (its all academic and no financial constraints so can put what I like!)