AM2 EXAM HELP

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure it wasn't  four groats to a dubloon ?      And back in the "good old days " there were far more inches in a foot than you get today .
I have still got a 'brass and boxwood two footer'....joke on 'but I don't use it as a rule'....joke off

still,gets used frequently

may i just add.....Blakeley tape ( shure pite )

Oh yes !  Bloomin' Blackley tape  what a load of  ...what you said ...( One eye on the swear censor)... that stuff was.  Some kind of icky-sticky fabric , and what a mess when in contact with oil & suds . 

May I add hacksaw blades .  Coming "on the tools " I'd gone to work for a contractor that still had a storeman at the yard , but they had certain rules , to save a few coppers I guess .  

One was hacksaw blades , none of yer Eclipse , they were Ding-Dong , a flexible blade , utter carp and unless you were cutting 4" or 6" trunking or tray , you would only get a 10" blade.

Another was Rawlplug jumper bits ....had to bring your broken/ worn one in before you got a new one .

AND .... you had to learn that if you asked for a 1/4 drill , you got a 5/16  because that is the clearance size !!!     We needed 1/4 to fit the dreaded Enox tank cutters but they wouldn't listen.

And, five weeks was approximately the amount of time "Auld Tam" reckoned you needed to learn how to properly brew up! 

I Still have my 'Ding-Dong'...used it today in fact.

floorboard saw

belly brace

D shell bits

Wooden handled cabinet drivers

eclipse hacksaw blade handle...still,got

stanley knife with a wood blade to cut boxes into,skirting boards

shade ring remover....still got my Grandfather's AND still use it

steadfast terminal driver

slide rule

wooden 3 footer

plumb bob board

rickets

hitler

I Still have my 'Ding-Dong'...used it today in fact.

floorboard saw

belly brace

D shell bits

Wooden handled cabinet drivers

eclipse hacksaw blade handle...still,got

stanley knife with a wood blade to cut boxes into,skirting boards

shade ring remover....still got my Grandfather's AND still use it

steadfast terminal driver

slide rule

wooden 3 footer

plumb bob board

rickets

hitler
You mentioned the magic word there, SLIDE RULE.

Funnily enough that is how I started to enjoy maths. I do not have one now but I do intend on purchasing one, just to show my grandchildren how great they are.

I remember Steadfast terminal drivers  or "Termites" as my mate called them.

Wooden handled cabinet drivers were bloomin' awful.

A shade ring remover Eh!   never met anyone with one of those TBH.

what's a Ding-Dong

would it be a bell-set ?

do you still have your OHM bush spanner ?

when I was in my second year I was bought half a tool kit sound's better than it was, there was a lot of chippie tools as when the list was made we still used capping and rese wood pattress, so I got a brace and bits, tenon saw folding wooden ruler, I still have 40years on, but no testing equipment, we used to use a bell set(door bell with two wires ), a lamp holder with two wires coming out and a wind-up megger      

Ding Dong is a make of hacksaw...really good quality ( well,they used to be)

mine must be at least 40 years old...must get a new blade for it

dont recall,ever seeing Ding Dong blades though!.i remember Plumbers hacksaw blades, double sided and about 2" wide. You see them snapped into pieces and nailed over joist notches

Hi Poni ,  yes still have an Ohm Bush King somewhere .  Probably with the pyro tools , stocks & dies , tallow & Enox cutters   that we never use anymore. 

And yes most sparks,s testers were a lampholder , two bits of flex and a pygmy lamp .  For 440V we had two lampholders in series . :eek:  

A Ding-Dong  wasn't the bell set , although that was also part of the kit , (still is TBH)  , Ding-Dong was a make of hacksaw blade , cheap but flexible , and not very sharp,  but  meant apprentices didn't break so many , you could bend these things double  but were really rubbish TBH  .  We'd have sold our souls for Eclipse blades , specially as nearly everything we did back then was in steel conduit . 

I forgot about Tallow it must have a mental block of the days swing the stocks with 2" Die's and two lumps of 25mm tube to make the handles longer no gloves in them days , I can smell it now on my hands

Last edited by a moderator:
How about the bayonet lamp wire-able connector? Very popular in Woolworths, intended for Xmas tree lights but used for just about everything! 

Card of fuse wire 1'/6 at local general store, three gauges, lighting, power, cooker. Stick a bit of cooker in the lights fuse if it popped.......

Are not OhmTITE and Bushking different  beasts?

pyro tools!.....have to find mine as a gardener cut though  4L1.5 today supplying a garage

two cores for garage supply and the other two are a switch wire and neutral for a remotely switched light.

brilliant

now got to find two 4L1.5 ends....or one end and some SWA :innocent

I remember tallow very well and was it called tuffnell that was used in motor terminals. Also remember rawlplug tools, hit it with the club hammer whilst turning it at the same time, and the pyro stripper that was like a sardine tin key, what a godsend when the joistripper came out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have a tin of Tallow :innocent

I still have my joistripper but have not used it for years

Oh yes !  Bloomin' Blackley tape  what a load of  ...what you said ...( One eye on the swear censor)... that stuff was.  Some kind of icky-sticky fabric , and what a mess when in contact with oil & suds . 

Pain in the ar... backside... fabric tape that always rips down one side and doesn't stick to anything that is remotely greasy?

Pyro tools!

can i find mine for next weeks repair job?

can I for Christmas sake!

ah well....back to the ingenuity, pair of snips, couple of BFO penny washers, hacksaw and 20 mins in the workshop tomorrow!

...and do you know what?...as soon as i,have finished making a crimper the other will,appear. It is tied to the Mole Crimper ( old AlCuMICC wedge pot crimper) , joistripper and plate crimp

ho hum

Pyro tools!

can i find mine for next weeks repair job?

can I for Christmas sake!

ah well....back to the ingenuity, pair of snips, couple of BFO penny washers, hacksaw and 20 mins in the workshop tomorrow!

...and do you know what?...as soon as i,have finished making a crimper the other will,appear. It is tied to the Mole Crimper ( old AlCuMICC wedge pot crimper) , joistripper and plate crimp

ho hum
I have mine to hand,

Do you want me to send you a.picture,? :slap

Are not OhmTITE and Bushking different  beasts?

pyro tools!.....have to find mine as a gardener cut though  4L1.5 today supplying a garage

two cores for garage supply and the other two are a switch wire and neutral for a remotely switched light.

brilliant

now got to find two 4L1.5 ends....or one end and some SWA :innocent
I MAY be able to help you with those terms ...not sure ...but if you still need them I'll look tomorrow.