Am2 - Lighting Circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwiNCFC

Reaction score
Hello guys!

I have my AM2 soon (probably before xmas or in the new year) and I just wanted to ask a question about the intermediate lighting circuit.

From doing a bit of research, the way you wire it seems a bit odd or is it just me.

There is a feed to the 1st switch (yes that's fine) and then 1.5mm2 twin from the 1st switch to the intermediate and so on.

Why not just use 3 core?

Also, The last switch has no neutral to connect to so you need to run a seperate twin to the last switch so the light can pick up a neutral. This bit sounds strange, why would you wire the circuit like this?

Thanks for your help. I'm probably missing something really stupid!

line and neutral to light,

single brown [&E] from linbe side of light to 1st switch, T&E [twin brown] between each switch, single brown [&E] to switch side of light.

sorry if this isnt how AM2 asks for it, thats simply a real world scenario

isnt the lighting circuit in singles?

May be of no help as i think its changed but I got marked down for not using heat proof sleeving inside fittings.

There are many ways of wiring this type of switching depending on the layout of the property and the cables involved. I normally wire 'the conversion method' where a twin & e is taken from the rose (or 3 plate at the switch) and then run a 3core & e through each switch, joining one core straight through till the final 2 way switch.

There are many many ways of wiring a lighting circuit. None are right or wrong, as long as you don't end up borrowing a neutral from another circuit.

The "best" way depends on the topology of the circuit i.e the relative location of the switches in relation to each other and the light fitting(s) so work out what cable you would use with all the different possibilities and use the configuration that uses the least cable (or gives the easiest cable route)

Having said that I normally use 3 core & e sending the two live strappers and neutral around from switch to switch, then 2c&e from the last switch to the light.

EDIT slip & slap said just about the same thing and just pipped me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lighting circuit: Twin and earth [6242y] from DB to first two-way switch. Twin and earth [6242y] from first two-way switch to light. Interlink first two-way switch to intermediate switch with three-core and earth [6243y] and also between the intermediate switch and the last two-way switch.

Connections at first two-way switch: Blue from light and blue from DB connect together in wago connector.

Brown from DB connect to common terminal in switch.

Brown from light and brown in 6243Y connect together in wago connector.

Grey and Black both sleeved brown are the strappers.

The intermediate switch is connected with strappers grey and black all sleeved brown

The brown in the 6243Y connected in wago connector

The last two-way is connected with the brown in common terminal and grey and black

both sleeved brown in the strapper terminals. :B-

Latest posts