Am2

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordie

Reaction score
Hi. Im currently sitting my am2 nd ive found the two way lighting abit of a struggle. Could any1 talk me through the way to do it as ive heard of few different ways??

There is a couple of ways to do it, one way is to run a three core and earth between your two switches, and then from the switch which is closest to the light run a twin brown and earth from that switch to the light. So at the light switch furthest away from the light you will have one 3 core and earth, and at the light switch closest to the light you will have a 3 core and earth and a twin brown and earth. At your light you should have a perm line, neutral and earth. Now how would you connect it?

The other end of the twin brown and earth goes to the light. Let's presume the light has already got a perm line, neutral and earth. So how would you connect it up?

Thanks. Wot i had done was taken a twin nd earth to first switch frm DB then connected Brown to L1 nd blue into "push" fit connector. Another twin and earth from same switch straight to light. With that brown goin into L2 then i had a 3-core nd earth frm first switch with grey as my common nd brown nd black in L1 and L2.

The 3-core then linked between intermediate with me grey commons in push fit connectors. Then out of intermediate to last switch with grey as common nd brown nd black as L1 nd L2.

To be honest be careful and read the spec fully as when I done my am2 last year I was warned by my college to read it fully and understand it in terms of cabling systems and wiring systems as it might spec that two way switching is I be done in PVC singles or in three core and cpc. Just thought I would give you a heads up a theres te two main ways of doing it one being conduit method but If I remember right the light is fed by a cable fixed to tray so I would use the usual three core method.

Thinking back to it the FP200 was on the cable tray and the conduit was for the lighting circuit and going by the guide to the am2 as long as it hasn't changed again as barge had also written a guide for the older version then it spec'd that the lighting circuit to be wired in flat twin and cpc and flat three core and cpc.

that would work . im sure you know how to do it so just be confident and if your unsure on anything think it through / draw it out...

If its single PVC take your perm live feed to your common on the switch and your blue to the neutral in the light then run 2 brown cables from L1 to L1 and the other from L2 to L2 and run a single brown to the switch position in the light.

If its domestic run from cu to light then twin brown from the light from perm live then switch live run a twin brown to your switch into common and L1 then run a 3core to the other switch.

Twin from db to first switch. Twin from first switch all the way to light. 3 core and e from first switch to second switch and another 3 core and earth from second to third switch. So your left with two twins and a 3 core at first 2 3 cores at second switch and 1 3 core at third switch. Work backwards from third switch. Brown as common and blk and grey as l1 and l2. Second switch strappers as l1 and l2 and join browns. First switch twin from light brown goes to common blk and grey l1 and l2 brown in twin from db joins to brown in twin that goes to second switch.

Forgive If it doesn't make sense I'm

On the beer! I passed mine last month