another connection to earth rod

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maccarooni

Reaction score
been to look at a job today and basically want the garage tidied up.

House is on TT, however the submain feed to garage is 2.5 T+E. all good so far. only a light and socket.

the incoming gas feed and meter is in the garage, and metal pipe up to meter and goes back down underground in plastic to house (5m) away. Theres no bond on the meter in the garage and 6mm bond to incoming pipework in the house. Now the meter need a 6mm bond , but the 1.5mmcpc back to the house is insufficient, so do i need too go back to the house consumer unit from the garage or go straight to the earth stake. ( unsure about doubling up bond wires at the stake.

cant see problem though)

thanks in advance for your advice ,

Macca

Guinness

All bonding for a TT should be the same as any other type of installation.

From the rod to the main earthing terminal, which can be external or internal to the cu.

From the met(main earthing terminal) there should be bonding to gas and water and any other extrenous part that requires bonding.

In this instance the earth can be taken to the rod direct, continuity will be equal to addition of another earth, as the main earth goes to the cu from the rod anyway.

All bonding for a TT should be the same as any other type of installation.From the rod to the main earthing terminal, which can be external or internal to the cu.

From the met(main earthing terminal) there should be bonding to gas and water and any other extrenous part that requires bonding.

In this instance the earth can be taken to the rod direct, continuity will be equal to addition of another earth, as the main earth goes to the cu from the rod anyway.
Thanks GH

from the consumer unit in the house to the incoming gas and water where they enter, there are 6mm bonds,

But as i said the actual meter is in the garage, with no bond. So in effect the pipework in the garage is not bonded.

now to go back to the consumer unit in the garage in 6mm, and then to the rod in 10mm would be a darn site easier as i have to pass the rod.

macca

Thanks GHfrom the consumer unit in the house to the incoming gas and water where they enter, there are 6mm bonds,

But as i said the actual meter is in the garage, with no bond. So in effect the pipework in the garage is not bonded.

now to go back to the consumer unit in the garage in 6mm, and then to the rod in 10mm would be a darn site easier as i have to pass the rod.

macca
Im a bit lost mac,

but if Im getting you right then it should be OK,

but please use 10mm for the new cables, as that would be the new required size,

without knowing more info I doubt 6mm would satisfy the current regs.

Im a bit lost mac,but if Im getting you right then it should be OK,

but please use 10mm for the new cables, as that would be the new required size,

without knowing more info I doubt 6mm would satisfy the current regs.
*cough*

It's TT :p

*cough*It's TT :p
YOU, ^^^^^^^

I dont know the size of his tails or anything,

and I think he just wants confirmation that it is ok to go from gas meter in garage to CU in garage, then on to spike.

rather than have to go from MET in house to gas in garage in 10mm,(or 6mm as op put it)

personally, I think he should be running a 10mm from garage CU to spike anyway, gas or no gas,

If its not buried then it can be as little as 4mm2 although bonding conductors should not be less than 6mm2

YOU, ^^^^^^^I dont know the size of his tails or anything,

and I think he just wants confirmation that it is ok to go from gas meter in garage to CU in garage, then on to spike.

rather than have to go from MET in house to gas in garage in 10mm,(or 6mm as op put it)

personally, I think he should be running a 10mm from garage CU to spike anyway, gas or no gas,
<Maybe i could have worded it better, but from gas meter in garage 6mm (as TT) to new garage CU. Then rather than take 10mm back to house CU, Go straight to rod, as its on the way to the house.

hope its as clear as mud now.

Macca.

Rod the garage end, bond back to garage CU and then to rod?
Thats what I would do too Patch. You then effectivly have 2 MET's that are connected by a cable able to carry the fault of the whole installation should the house one fail.

Latest posts