Anyone else had this dilema before ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not use a KMF switch fuse and a metal adaptable box to terminate the SWA ?  Have this all ready with your tails ready to go into their REC2

Thats one thing I was avoiding  ...having to use a 2nd   cupboard just to connect the SWA .     I've had to do what you show in the past . 

I've just done a new supply up  my road  so the size of  WPD 's cut-outs  is that chalk mark you can see in my pic.   Then my meter is a big  electro magnetic  jobbie .

The Western Power guys seem very amenable  which is different to what we are  used to round here ,,   the original electricity board  , MEB   thought they were the Electric Police ...  then privatisation brought  a couple of foreign owned companies  who were useless  but WPD  seem to have it right .  

As I said, they HAVE to finish at a sealed isolator...mine has no sealing facility 

But the REC2 has the sealing facility via one of the cover screws? Are they saying because the wiring continues beyond this to the non sealable sw/fuse it's an issue?

Last two times I had anything sealed, first by EDF themselves and then by one of the MAJOR contractors who sub to them they didn't even use numbered seals! Same as my eBay specials.

The REC2 they use, they only seal the input terminals. The output terminals can be sealed, but I have never seen that done, just as henley blocks on the customer side can be sealed, they rarely are.

Am I having a brain freeze morning?

Why do they seal the REC2, is it only to provide an extra barrier against somebody exposing live terminals, as it can't be for fraud reasons as it is after the meter.

I thought the REC2 only has one "long" cover screw comes with it to get a seal through?
The isolator some DNO's fit must be a different version. The main cover covers the incommer and the switch itself and there is a smaller cover over the output terminals, they can each be sealed independently.

you could seal each side, but it usually comes with 4x screws & 1x sealable screw, so you could only seal one side

I thought only one sealable screw like this tbh:

P1220227_zps78aa48c0.jpg

But then I found this and not so sure. Wondering if the top left was also a long one:

SAM_5556_zps54f878c1.jpg

I have no idea why they feel the need to seal  the isolators but their modus operandi  seems to be the same as new installations where  an electrical contractor isn't on site  .   They supply a downstream isolator and seal the live  side .

Edit :    Wylex only supply one peg that can be sealed . 

Last edited by a moderator: