Apple Charger Not Working At Home

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appliances don't need an earth unless they are faulty.

Not sure reverse polarity is an issue as you would have other problems, I was just throwing it out there.

TBH it's got me stumped.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that with Apple products the device will only work in ONE specific socket that it's set up on, a bit like i-Tunes and if you need it to work in another its £45 per month per socket...........

The forthcoming Linux based open source phones will work off of a potato or lemon and are much less restrictive...........

default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

An iPad requires a higher current draw to charge, many of the BS 1363 socket mounted USB outlets can only deliver 1A, the are current limited to that.

An iPad requires 2.1A available to charge.

Below this current availability it will not register that it is charging, but will slowly.

That's the gist of it anyway.

Now to the OP.

Do these power supplies have a 13A "plug" on them?

If they do.

Do they have a "plastic" earth pin?

Do any of the other devices that work have a "plastic" earth pin.
Not all, my BG twin outputs has 2.1A maximum, manufacturers instructions state that if iPad is used only one output is to be used, both outputs can be used for mobile phones.

I never said ALL, I said many.

I have just put my MACBook Pro on.

The led on the charger does not light up when I plug it in at home either!

Until you plug it into the computer, then it ligts up and charges OK.

Sidewinder, I know you never said all, apologies.

As you know you can have the charger for Macbook on a fly lead or attached direct to the 13A plug adapter, do you use different methods for work and home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a lightning connector that it uses? Are you using the same lead at home as the office.

They are not very robust. I've had two that only charge when inserted a certain way.

They won't charge when inserted, rotate 180 degrees and works fine. Don't like them myself, but stuck with them.

The 2 chargers that don't work are brand new MagSafe chargers for my MacBook. They both work fine at my work yet won't work at home. 1 of the chargers was bought from Apple and 1 from currys. They both work fine and are

Not broken though.

If you still have a problem, check what supply voltage you have (live-neutral) Also do a voltage check between earth and neutral and earth-live. Post the results here?

J