Are Floor Sockets Allowed?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiksey

Reaction score
Looking at a house that has floor sockets installed in a few rooms (tiled kitchen floor, living room and hobby room).

Is this allowed in a domestic install at the latest regs?

Thanks

Wiksey

There's nothing that specifically says not. There's nothing that specifically says yes either though, so as long as they are suitable for the environment....

Assuming they are proper floor sockets not wall sockets fitted to the floor? There are situations in domestic where a floor socket is the only option, such as a conservatory with an all glass wall coming down on a side where a socket is needed. A floor socket in a domestic installation is no worse than a wall socket or a garden shed socket or outdoor socket, providing the correct type of socket is selected.  

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses guys.

The floor sockets are all proper floor sockets with sprung covers. I was asking as I've not come across them in a house before (I used to work in a large office so very used to them in that environment, just not as an electrician). Apart from the obvious of them not being between 450 & 1200mm having a floor socket in a tiled kitchen floor concerns me - how do you clean tiles without water ingress?

The height is a building reg thing, not a wiring reg thing. So on a rewire completely irellevant.

Even on a new build. it is only "general purpose" switches and sockets that have to stick to those heights. you can fit a dedicated socket for a special purpose at any height, probably the most common example these days is a socket high on the wall for a wall mounted tv.  If building control kick up a fuss, stick a label on it "vacuum cleaner only" and it's no longer a general purpose socket.

Apart from the obvious of them not being between 450 & 1200mm having a floor socket in a tiled kitchen floor concerns me - how do you clean tiles without water ingress?

The height guidelines refer to wall mounted accessories, however I would be inclined to agree that a floor socket in a kitchen, on a floor covering that is likely to have liquids used on it during normal cleaning procedures is not a good idea. The selection of materials and chosen installation location, fails to take account of external influences by the sounds of it..

Doc H. 

You don't need to clean floors with gallons of water being sloshed about.