are napit any good?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben piner

Reaction score
I'm having last minute thoughts as I was going to sign up with NIC but have been looking at the others.. I've heard mixed reviews about napit though.. Are they any good coz there alot cheaper to join..

It all depends on the work you are expected to be doing, if your just starting out then money is going to be tight, so any overheads you can reduce can only be a good thing.

I'm having last minute thoughts as I was going to sign up with NIC but have been looking at the others.. I've heard mixed reviews about napit though.. Are they any good coz there alot cheaper to join..
How much cheaper ...?

Which "brand" do your prospective customers know of....

one, both, none???

:|

I was in the same boat but tbh I don't think home owners care which scam your with as long as you give them a certificate however if your going to work for a property company or carry out commercial or industrial then most of the time they ask for nic. I joined napit as they were a lot cheaper and most of my work at the the minutte will be for domestic customers. When I ad my inspection I asked him wot if somebody demands nic he replied get in touch with us and we will contact them and explain things I've not tried it and tbh don't know if they would be able to change things. I've also heard if your joining nic they are a lot more thorough on there assessments you need more books, more paperwork side of things again not sure how true it is. In the end you have to weigh it up and decide if it's worth that extra cash if you think it will be worthwhile in a business sense then go for it however if your not sure how much work your going to get then go for the cheaper option one of my main choices is that the majority of my work comes by subbying for a nic firm and joined napit for my jobs not knowing how much work I would get

Napit are more open and accessible then the Niccy, and yes they will fight your corner to break the obsession with Niccy being stipulated by others. For example if you really needed too then the top man will take the time to talk to you. Unlike the up themselves at Niccy. Purely based in own experiences, not too say it is the same for each and every.

It is just unfortunate that the Niccy were more recognised prior to part p.

Thanks everyone.. I think that's cleared a few things up for me.. The main reason was because of the whole 'everyone in property wants an NIC cert' I didn't know if it would reduce the work ''i could get'' If I go with napit.. But on the whole as I don't know how business is going to be yet I think I'm gonna go with napit.. For the reason they are cheaper.. What are there assessments like? I have heard they are more easy going.. To be honest one of my old tutors always said to me don't go with the NIC go with napit...best pull my finger out and get the ball rolling.. Another quick one was if I do my job for assessment can I notify building control after I have joined napit so it doesn't cost my arm or do I have to do it before?? Thanks guys

Tell them ur going to notify it after fill the test sheet in and take it to your assessment it shows them u know wot your doing. Don't worry about the assessment as long as u have all your paperwork a side there not there to pull u apart if they think your doing something wrong they will advise u on putting it right mine only lasted 1.5 hours not saying yours will as some last half day depends how busy the accessor is I suppose they ask u basic questions ask u to demonstrate a few tests if you know your stuff Ull be fine

I've been with Napit for just over 2 years and have no problems, their technical backup is also very good

For me it is a no-brainer. NICEIC all the way. Brand awareness plays a huge part in consumer decisions and the NIC are the first scam provider people think of (if in fact they can name any!). I think it is just easier - even Worcester boiler instructions have "must be installed by an NIC qualified electrician" lol!

I also hear that for Napit you must have 2391 whereas NIC aren't yet insisting on it.

I think that's becouse Nic is an consumer organisation where Napit is a trade organisation

For me it is a no-brainer. NICEIC all the way. Brand awareness plays a huge part in consumer decisions and the NIC are the first scam provider people think of (if in fact they can name any!). I think it is just easier - even Worcester boiler instructions have "must be installed by an NIC qualified electrician" lol!I also hear that for Napit you must have 2391 whereas NIC aren't yet insisting on it.
Go for NICEIC, seriously if your starting out, go for the DI scheme and you will get used to how they work and what they expect, then if you need to, go Full A/C when you feel your ready, i have recently upgraded to the Approved contractor scheme and it has opened doors for me allready, i would say it has easily paid for itself. if your buisness it at the right stage, and youll never be refused to tender for a job!

As above ^^ sorry none of the other groups come close to the NIC with customer awareness/marketing and there standards and requirements are higher but if your a decent spark thats a good thing as it keeps you on your toes!

I dont understand why sparks go with these other scams as they are practically unknown to the general public and alot of people request an nic contractor?? why would you dis-advantage your business???

They are a pain to deal with i admit, but its worth having the badge mate, and once your on board its only once a year you have to deal with them

personally, 90% of my customers dont care if Im registered or not,

a lot of it depends on your target market.

I am in the process of getting scam registered ATM but I deffo wont be going nic, (and until xmas I was an NICEIC AC QS), I just dont see the purpose in it for a small sole trading business,

IME most of the contracts that specify NIC AC will also specify evidence of contracts of a certain size having been undertaken, usually OMB arent going to have this evidence, with a few exceptions of course.

the one and only reason Im registering at all is so many of the PIRs I do for private landlords would benefit from CU upgrades (aside from other non-notifiable works), so its in my interest now, and viable, to register to self-certify those.

as with every start-up business, capital outlay is a major concern, so why pay over the odds for the first year until you find out what is really the limit to your NOT getting work,

recommendation beats having a fancy sticker on the van every time IMHO.

alot of the business insurance PIR's i have recently undertaken have all required either NIC or ECA full approved none mentioned napit, and by being able to carry out this work the clients have nearly all started using me from now on for their electrical work, as in their eyes the insurance companies make it seem without these registrations there previous spark is not competant enough

I know this is often not the case and the sparks are probably more than competant but this is how i find it to be perceived by customers in general and their loss is my gain

I know napit say they will fight your corner etc but why have all the hassle in the first place??

steptoe i agree that personal recomendation is second to none with regards to getting the work in, but when your just starting out you dont have that luxury and are much more reliant on advertising and first impressions and that fancy sticker does work!!

steptoe i agree that personal recommendation is second to none with regards to getting the work in, but when your just starting out you dont have that luxury
I suppose Im quite lucky in that respect, even though I have only been in this area a short time, through my previous work I have 2 plumbers and 3 gas engineers that recommend me a lot, along with a joiner and a couple of plasterers,

one of the gasmen often insists I do his control wiring for him in his total price for the jobs, even though he is defined scope he says its cheaper to get me to do it than him messing about with stuff he is unsure about and would take twice as long to do.

as I said before, I now also seem to be gathering apace with private landlords who seem to share your name through their own 'closed' communities, and also the other 'communities' that once you get known in as reputable they also like to keep the same person onside through their own friends, you just need to know how to price these jobs for the inevitable extras and expected discounts for passing your name on,

ie, a

I have decided I will be going with NAPIT now as yes it's cheaper for now and 2 if I joined NIC DI scheme I could not certify any commercial, I'm not that confident around 3 phase as I don't really do much of it but say for instance the shop around the corner from me is single phase I can pass that off with NAPIT full scope but NIC I can't so in a way being with NAPIT will give me more business opportunities.. And also at the moment if I join NAPIT they are letting me join another scheme for free so I can get my MCS while I'm at it.. I don't think I can refuse this offer.. Cheaper and more beneficial for me...

Latest posts