Armeg Screwdriver Set

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it Lurch?

Why?
Well, we're looking for a torque to apply to socket terminal screws, your detailed line of questioning pretty much shows that this is not something that you can calculate on the job. Unless the manufacturer stipulates what torque the terminal should be tightened to then you can't be expected to apply a specified torque to it.

Grade of brass?

What is it going into?
Come on. You know where I am going here. If the manufacturer guidance on torque settings must be adhered to for MCBs then surely the same must be true for accessories which must state that they should also be installed to meet the standards that the materials allow.

I am just trying to highlight how sometimes people just do things without questioning why. I have never and will never use a torque driver. Also if these manufacturers instructions were so good why has amendment 3 seem to have thrown that out by bringing in NC CUs?

Come on. You know where I am going here. If the manufacturer guidance on torque settings must be adhered to for MCBs then surely the same must be true for accessories which must state that they should also be installed to meet the standards that the materials allow.

I am just trying to highlight how sometimes people just do things without questioning why. I have never and will never use a torque driver. Also if these manufacturers instructions were so good why has amendment 3 seem to have thrown that out by bringing in NC CUs?
It must be adhered to, IF, it is specified.

However, manufacturers of accessories do not require it, thus it does not need to be done.

You will start using a torque driver, like it or not, as you will be mandated to do so, by your clients in a very short space of time.

I'd say sidewinder is more authouritve than me on this, 

I generally work more with engines,

But, there will be a standard torque for a 4mm brass screw,

But fkd if I can be bothered looking it up.

It also needs to take into account the material it is threaded into as well, 

^^^^ 

Beaten to it,, :|
But that is my point. Is the reg only worth following when the torque setting is given to you on a plate? Who really checks what the torque requirements are for a socket? No one does. But it it's the same thing as a MCB.

Exactly what I am trying to get through to Essex, however, as usual, he won't listen!
Please let us not get rude. It is a conversation.

It must be adhered to, IF, it is specified.

However, manufacturers of accessories do not require it, thus it does not need to be done.

You will start using a torque driver, like it or not, as you will be mandated to do so, by your clients in a very short space of time.
How short? Wanna bet?

Oh it's not the instructions that were poor with regard to the CU fires, it is the lack of competence of the installers, and them not tightening and terminating correctly that caused the overheating which caused the fires which set alight the plastic consumer units that were not compliant with the relevant standards.

Oh, and before you go on, you can do as you like, however, when things go wrong, you will have to prove that you did all you should have.

Now if you are proved negligent in a court of law under statute law, then your insurance will be null and void also.

You will Essex, it will be written into specifications shortly, and if you don't comply you will be deemed to be in breach of contract under the commercial terms and thus the customer will be within their rights to withhold payment for the works.

It will happen, and, it won't be long coming.

So,, playing devils advocate here.....

We HAVE to torque down any screw that the manufacturers deem necessary because of a reg in a book that is non-statutory that we don't "have" to follow?

Needless to say I do have a torque screwdriver and I've even started using it :eek:

BTW,,, have you seen the "Torqued up" stickers that the NICEIC are selling??

What I cannot understand is how members can choose that the reg means only MCBs. Not accessories. Now if a member said " yes. I do it for both MCBs and all accessories" then I would understand. But to choose MCBs and not accessories (by checking the torque requirements set by material etc - as stated by other members) is what I cannot get. No where in the regs does is state only MCBs.

So,, playing devils advocate here.....

We HAVE to torque down any screw that the manufacturers deem necessary because of a reg in a book that is non-statutory that we don't "have" to follow?

Needless to say I do have a torque screwdriver and I've even started using it :eek:

BTW,,, have you seen the "Torqued up" stickers that the NICEIC are selling??
I was waiting for someone to say that. Surprised it took so long. Haha.

I had a pop at the NIC on LinkedIn earlier for their lack of priorities. These stickers are pathetic of true.

Essex.... if you look at the regs,, they state that we should be installing IAW the manufacturers instructions.

Now if the manufacturers state that we need to tighten certain screws to a certain torque then that is what we should do....

If the manufacturers instructions don't say anything about tightening up the screws to a specified torque then there is no instruction to follow

Essex.... if you look at the regs,, they state that we should be installing IAW the manufacturers instructions.

Now if the manufacturers state that we need to tighten certain screws to a certain torque then that is what we should do....

If the manufacturers instructions don't say anything about tightening up the screws to a specified torque then there is no instruction to follow
This all started with someone quoting reg 526.1 which states nothing about manufacturers requirements. That is when I questioned the reasoning. Since then other regs have been brought in but IMO 526.1 does not require a torque driver to meet it.

What I cannot understand is how members can choose that the reg means only MCBs. Not accessories.
So how can someone say that MCBs/RCBOs require it but accessories do not?

Following manufacturers instructions.
?????

This all started with someone quoting reg 526.1 which states nothing about manufacturers requirements. That is when I questioned the reasoning. Since then other regs have been brought in but IMO 526.1 does not require a torque driver to meet it.
It doesn't require one to meet it but proving that it is met would be easier if you used a calibrated torque driver. That is all.

Same question you asked an hour ago, answer still same.

Sometimes Essex!! I can't make my mind up as to whether you are an argumentative sort for the sake of it or just plainly don't get it? Read the regs apply accordingly, be aware that there is a reg that requires us to follow mfrs instructions start with that and add the other regs to it as you go.

Stop playing the blonde Essex :)