Astronomical programmable time switch for outdoor entrance light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestHound

Reaction score
I am looking to install an astronomical programmable time switch for an outdoor entrance light, which would turn on and off the light in times linked to sunrise and sunset times. The time switch will not connect to the Internet. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good quality device? This is to be used for a residential block, where costs are shared, and thus quality is more important than getting a cheap device to save a few pounds.

Thanks

A photocell would in principle be a good idea, but in my case the exterior light and cables are not easily reachable, and also an astro switch can be a bit more configurable (e.g. turn on 60 min past sunset). Photocells can sometimes be configured as well (in terms of light sensitivity), but in my case it would be a pain to adjust it due to the height of the cable and photocell.

Am I the only one old enough to remember the Sangmo Weston purely mechanical astronomical timers? A pure work of engineering genius. No internet connection needed. you bought a model variant to suit your latitude.

Thanks all.

@Murdoch The Steinel photocell sensor seems very good, but due to the location of the external cables and light, it would be more practical for me to change the timer with an astro timer.

@ProDave Thanks for suggesting the Sangamo Weston. They do not make this model any more, but I did come across their website earlier and I was not sure if it is a reputable company. I will probably buy one of their astro timers, not sure yet if I will opt for an analogue or digital. Here is their site: https://www.sangamo.co.uk/collections/astro-suntracker

I didn't even know you could still get them, having once fitted an astonomical timeswitch a few years ago, needless to say I fitted a digital unit.
Part of the Scolmore group now http://espuk.com/

And you can get the spares to repair them there are not many time switches that offer that eco friendly option

Latest posts