Australian visa!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKS

Reaction score
I am quite often asked "what is it you need to do to get a work visa for Australia?".

Firstly, I am fortunate to hold dual nationalities, so can offer a little insight into those that want to enjoy the Australian way of life. I must make it quite clear that I myself did not go the skilled visa route, but met and married an Australian girl whilst on holiday 12 years ago.

However, I do hold an unrestricted licence for the state of South Australia. I must digress, that I did not do an apprentice or a 5 week course, but started out as an electricians mate. I put myself through college for nigh on four years and have done numerous other courses in between.

In South Australia, I worked for one of the biggest contractors in the state and my background is mainly commercial, with the odd bit of industrial and domestic. Domestic in South Australia is seen as second class to Commercial and Industrial, not my thoughts, but the thoughts of many Australian sparks, often called 'Cottaging' a derogatory term, but used nonetheless.

Wages in Australia vary from $30 a hour to $110 a hour, which is around

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent post mate, thanks. I have scoobed you, and suggest those who agree, do the same too. :)

Thank you. There are some spelling and grammatical errors, but hopefully everyone gets the jist of it all :)

I have also made it a "Sticky" so that it will be easier to find, when need be.

Thanks for the good read MKS, interesting stuff.

I plan to risk it and make the move in the next for years my self.

Thanks for sharing your experiance.

It's very difficult to get skilled worker visa, especially if you are from a non-English speaking country. Try New Zealand or Canada. You'd have a better chance.

Better yet, it'll probably be easier to get US work visa if you have educational qualifications.

I emigrated to NZ in 1996. I got permanent residency too. However, I had a catch 22 situation, I could not get work as an electrician in NZ despite being experienced and time served. I had to be NZ registrered. You can only get registered by working in NZ as a 'mate' which is what I did. I then had to do the course on the AS/NZ3000 regs and do a stage 3 practical assessement. Both of which were not cheap.

I mention this because Aus and NZ are very closely related in terms of visa requirements etc. Did not find pay and conditions that good. Bear in mind:

No familt tax credits

no family allowance

no tax threshold (ie pay tax on every dollar earned)

Pay to see doc

pay towards schooling

pay a fortune to see a dentist

no NHS as such and you need private healthcare

Other than that

Great country, people, lifestyle and climate

BUT

UK is better and I am happily settled back here