Baby Sparky question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Evans

Reaction score
Hiya guys. I'm taking a sparky's course and would like use this forum to ask some simple questions which I know you can answer.

I was in my garage looking at this junction box (see pic) which feeds 1 outside socket. I was wondering why we use such a big box just for one socket. Why can't we just take a direct feed from the socket above and do away with this ugliness.

Thanks in advance guys

DSCN4192.jpg

Could it be that the removal and replacement of the socket has left the cables short? To combat this the electrician has used a back box and blank plate to make some connections to extend the circuit.

Just my thoughts.

We need to see inside!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:26 ----------

turn the power off first

Ok apache, I've taken some new pics and I'm even more puzzled now :)

I thought that the spur off the garage was just servicing 1 outdoor socket but it also supplies 3 sockets in my conservatory.

However, my question still stands......why have I got this box when it seems to serve no purpose??

Thanks again guys

jbox2.jpg

jbox1.jpg

DSCN4192.jpg

Your guess will most likely be as good as ours unless the spark that did it is on here. Could be a good reason. Could just be laziness. Who knows for sure?

more to the point,,,,,spur feeding 3 sockets ?????

possible reason(long shot) he was coming back to fuse down the spur for the sockets ???? but didnt ?????

Yes Theory, 3 sockets and an outside socket. Doesn't an outside socket need it's own RCD? This circuit goes back to an MCB in the CU

Is it just me who can see 2 black cables and 3 red cables in the back of that socket?

?:|

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 12:59 ----------

What is the rating of that MCB? I ask because I am trying to decide if this is really a spur or actually a radial circuit!

An outside socket does need an RCD. Some sockets have them built in.

new installs require it be rcd protected but depends when it was installed

Is it just me who can see 2 black cables and 3 red cables in the back of that socket?
No there are 3. One just runs almost behind the other.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was made at 13:33 ----------

new installs require it be rcd protected but depends when it was installed
Pre 1/4/06 you would hope with those colours.

You had me worried there Apache LOL. I just checked it again and there ARE 3 blacks. (1 is hiding under the other 2).

The MCB is 16

You had me worried there Apache LOL. I just checked it again and there ARE 3 blacks. (1 is hiding under the other 2).The MCB is 16
It can be seen in the pic of you look.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 13:38 ---------- Previous post was made at 13:37 ----------

Doubled sleeved CPC's has been a no no for a long time though.

Probably younger than mine. You can see the black into the terminal at the highest point on the pic is actually the one by itself that came from the single top cable. The other 2 are routed together and I would put KME's beers on that they are twisted in the terminals too and those 2 cpcs from the bottom are twisted all the way up while sleeved.

Doubled sleeved CPC's has been a no no for a long time though.
I noticed the double sleeved CPC

My teacher will be proud......His lessons must be sinking in

I wonder if the difference in the patresses is a clue to why this was wired this way.

That's me lost now LOL. My teacher hasn't taught us nowt about patresses.

You dont have to explain Ian, I'll google it now.

It's all about learning see !!!

One looks square edged and one looks rounded edge.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was made at 13:55 ----------

or do you mean whats a patress? The plastic surface mount box.

Ah, I see, I've been calling that the "BACK BOX"

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was made at 13:57 ----------

Why would having a square or round patress make a difference?

Back Box is fine. Only it normally matches the accessory fitted. Still no idea why it would have been done/left.