bad times

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJLSparks

Reaction score
Came across this last week! Newly completed job in central London! Niceic registered company! Scary stuff huh!

image.jpg

I am afraid that would depend on the circumstances, no agreed it does not look neat, and there may be a problem with secure cables but without any additional information junction boxes as this are common place. I personaly would gland every cable going into the adaptable box. however providing they are secured and grommeted besides being untidy is an acceptable method.

Do you have any other additional information that would clarify your image? I for one would hate to get something wrong.

I see that all cables are indeed glanded, the only other cause for concern would be identification of conductors.

Last edited by a moderator:
On new installs?

Apologies for wrong section, have just seen the pics section....hope I haven't ruined your evening Apache

it really would depend on its function,

although for that amount of cables I would have used a bigger box at least,

sometimes DIN boxes simply arent suitable for the purpose.

what is it for?

Not a neat job although that actually looks like one of my CH junction boxes. I generally use push fits and an insulated box. I do tend to mark up what cables are as it makes it easier to fault find permanent markers are ideal for this.

It seems they have used them to spur various socket outlets. Im sure it has various circuits across all phases but have told the client it needs further investigation. He wants a quote to move these boxes too! As they are building a kitchen in front! Next pick should make it clearer...

image.jpg

It seems they have used them to spur various socket outlets. Im sure it has various circuits across all phases but have told the client it needs further investigation. He wants a quote to move these boxes too! As they are building a kitchen in front! Next pick should make it clearer...
in that case then maybe its not so good, :|

Ive heard numerous times about the use of floating connections within an enclosure but wasn't sure if there was a regulation related to it...

I agree, with Steps, please let us know your findings when you have investigated, if there are indeed connections sharing this enclosure with differing phases it looks pretty bad to me.

IMHO...major issue would be if the connector strip was poly and not PVC, NICY Bloke picked me up on this many many years ago. Came under 'materials not fit for purpose'. Poly has a lower melting point than PVC. So, joint insulation is inferior to cable insulation so FAIL.

Just seen the bit about sockets , so not very good at all....................... :coat