Bathroom ceiling lamp problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayenn

Reaction score
I have a problem with one of three surface ceiling lamps in the bathroom - new house, never had them before hence my question. The lamps are M250 Halogen 12 volt 50 watt MR16. One lamp kept going out as it slipped slightly and lost contact. I replaced the lamp with a new one thinking that it might fit better but that did exactly the same. I'd like to know more about how they're wired - I used to design three-phase power electrical systems for oil platforms and hospitals but this little b@%%>r has got me baffled!

All I can see is the block into which the lamp fits - and that shows a little burning - the lamp's the right size; same as the other lamps but I need to replace the block.  I can easily get to the wiring above the ceiling but hesitate until I know what I'm doing. I need to know what to buy and what to do - seems crazy to me that such a small lamp can beat me. I could get an electrician but do I really need to? Be grateful for any help.

Thank you Doc H, you were exactly right. I've got the correct fitting - it was easy. The problem I, now, have is getting to the lamp itself. Whoever fitted this must have done so before the extension in the roof was built - it is/was a bungalow and the lights are in the ceiling of the downstairs shower room! I can just reach the one side of the unit, with one hand, and only one hand, while lying on the floor in the most uncomfortable position you can imagine, on my left side. The rafters stop me getting any closer and my age stops me bending any more than a little bit! Can't get there with both hands. Can't remove it from inside the bathroom because of very strong clips that won't pass through the hole. Can't use a screwdriver. But, just like Baldrick, I have a very cunning plan! I'll try that tomorrow, however. 

Thanks again, Doc - I might just get a very young, very tall, very thin electrician (even if it means selling the wife) and open another beer!

If it was put in from bathroom side then the clips should pull through the hole.   Some of them are harder than Ross Kemp  thinks he is.

try to remove fitting on a slight angle...expose one Spring first then the other, try to support edges of hole where the clip is as they are prone to damaging  the plasterboard on the way out...in sort of a 'death throw" just before they snap onto your finger nails

there are a lot of poor designs in the electrical,world....this is one of the worst ones

you won't get lamps out from above, depending on design it normally is held in place by small spring clip on front or a twist ring, so release lamp, that will give you finger access to tease the fitting out as per Kerchs' comments. I call the spring retainers 'rat trap' springs, they are a royal PITA especially if the hole has been cut a bit small....

Once you have fitting out the electrical connections come out with it, more or less.

You were right Kerching - that's was exactly my cunning plan - and it worked. I had to lift up the one clip nearest me (the one I could reach - no easy matter) and my wife, in the bathroom below, pulled the complete fitting as far down, at an angle, as she could so that that spring was trapped. I, then, managed to stretch far enough to be able to lift and hold in place the second clip sufficiently for my wife to pull the whole thing through. The rest was easy and the actual wiring was a doddle. Putting it back was also so very easy - and now I know all about lamps of this sort and how they're fitted  - I hated no knowing so I am now very pleased. Binky was absolutely right - they were like mouse traps or rat traps and they hurt when they snapped back as, a few times, I let go too early. Thanks for all the suggestions offered and if I haven't mentioned you by name, I apologise.

Best regards to all, John

Actually, you may laugh (please do!) but my wife did trap her fingers, just the once. I heard this, quite loud, yelp so I called out, "Are you okay?" and got this "Yes" spoken through pursed lips, with teeth gritted. I didn't think much about this but, later, with her foot on my throat and my left arm where left arms shouldn't be, she gently, and in some detail, explained the problem. I listened to her, intently (well, I had no other choice), and said, as best I could through a collapsed trachea, that I fully understood her feelings and would it be okay to breathe for a while as this was something that I had become used to. She thought about this for an hour and, then, agreed that I could - so family harmony was again achieved.

The doctor says that I should be able to talk normally in a few weeks and look on the bright side - I can now hold my left elbow in my left hand, though I can't, for the life of me, see the advantage. He, also suggested that, next time, I get an electrician. Seems reasonable.

Cheers and thanks to all!

John

Hope you are better soon John.

Those clips can be lethal, as you have just proved.

Carpet gripperrods are another pet hate of mine. They just want to taste my blood and rip my clothes. No matter where they are on a job, they are just waiting to hurt me.  Devil's invention, hate them.

Latest posts