Baxi Condensing Boiler Query.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the mains pressure drops we get the error code on the control panel.    I recharge the boiler until the pressure gauge reads  2.5 bar which is the limit of the green (safe)  scale .   After a month it usually drops below 1 bar and the error code flashes.

But I notice that when the boiler is actually working the pressure rises to 3 bar  which is in the red scale  .

Is  this OK   ?   

it should only be filled to 1.2 bar. if it goes up to over 3 in use then you need a new expansion chamber

low pressure warning is usually around 0.5 bar

Last edited by a moderator:
Large pressure change from cold to hot is a sure sign the bladder in the expansion vessel has ruptured and it's full of water, so little or no air in the bladder to allow for expansion of the water.

Charge it to 1-1.5, if you find you are continually having to charge it, then it could need a new expansion chamber as the diaphragm has probably got a hole in.

According to other plumbing forums, (I am not a plumber) if the Pressure relief valve has ever activated it should be replaced as they do not re seal very well. in effect making a slow leak.

Could also check the air pressure of the expansion vessel.

just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the diaphragm has gone you will need to remove the boiler from the wall to replace it . it would be easier to fit another one somewhere else on the system they are really easy to fit 

According to other plumbing forums, (I am not a plumber) if the Pressure relief valve has ever activated it should be replaced as they do not re seal very well. in effect making a slow leak.

Could also check the air pressure of the expansion vessel.

just saying.

Quite right about them rarely sealing correctly at  first, but i have  always managed it after a  couple of goes 

is there any water coming from the blow off?
Dunno where the blow off is Andy .  

I bled a radiator , all water BTW , and lowered the pressure to 2bar .       Thanks for your tips,  I'll monitor it now  , see how long before it goes to error again .   Boiler almost new so could get them back to take a look. 

Dunno where the blow off is Andy .  

I bled a radiator , all water BTW , and lowered the pressure to 2bar .       Thanks for your tips,  I'll monitor it now  , see how long before it goes to error again .   Boiler almost new so could get them back to take a look. 
its insde the boiler with a pipe going outside