Been on the naughty step today 🙁

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's definitely policing on the cheap, but I'm not against it per se. You just have to view some of the you tube videos to see how bad some people's driving is. What does concern me is overtaking dreadful drivers, the sort that go around hedgerow lanes at 20 mph, or slow down to stare at the view - get a lot of tourists who drive like that in my area. So you overtake them and risk getting fined.
Why do you risk getting fined for overtaking? is there some strange laws in your neck of the woods?

Why do you risk getting fined for overtaking? is there some strange laws in your neck of the woods?

video car drives slowly. people behind want to pass. soon as road opens up enough to safely pass they speed up, forcing overtaking cars to appear to be driving dangerously whils overtaking. of course, camera car will only show the part of the video they want to be seen

ow many videos of bad driving do you see and think what lead upto that happening that's been omitted from the video?

one view doesn't always give the true story, yet its often enough to prosecute people for something

video car drives slowly. people behind want to pass. soon as road opens up enough to safely pass they speed up, forcing overtaking cars to appear to be driving dangerously whils overtaking. of course, camera car will only show the part of the video they want to be seen
Nobody is 'forcing' the car to overtake if the one in front has increased it's speed. If the above event took place and the dashcam footage used, it would be very easy to obtain the 5 minutes before the alleged dangerous driving took place to prove the person being overtaken was increasing his speed dramatically whilst being overtaken.

ow many videos of bad driving do you see and think what lead upto that happening that's been omitted from the video?
I'm sure it happens but the defendant if they are truly innocent or provoked should obtain the video and create their case. That said, theres very little you do to justify illegal / dangerous driving, some of the best ones seem to when car driver brake check HGV's and then get the back end of their car smashed in.

one view doesn't always give the true story, yet its often enough to prosecute people for something
As I said, often you cannot defend whats captured on camera, theres no excuse no matter what happened before, it does not excuse dangerous driving.

Well that's a good one. The worst lane hogging I've observed on many occasions is two HGVs side by side for long distances, sometimes finishing with the attempted overtaker eventually dropping back.
Yes, but that is not the drivers fault. The speed limit is 60mph. Thanks to the euro twats, the things are limited to 90 KMH. In practice they are all limited to between 54 and 56 mph.

You start overtaking another truck on a slope perhaps, you are part way past, and the speed limiter comes in. Nothing you can do about it, the power just disappears. What you going to do then?? You have no idea whose limiter is going to give in first, OR, if your truch has more power than theirs, [so on a slope they will run out of steam and you will pass]

You might be flying past them [relatively speaking] then you come to a slope, BOTH your limiters come in, and then it turns out they have more power than you..

How would YOU feel, if your car was limited to 66MPH even though the speed limit is 70..

The drivers hate it too.. Ever tried the level of skill required to drive a pair of these things a foot away from each other?? It is VERY not nice, i can assure you of that..

john..

I'm sure it happens but the defendant if they are truly innocent or provoked should obtain the video and create their case. That said, theres very little you do to justify illegal / dangerous driving, some of the best ones seem to when car driver brake check HGV's and then get the back end of their car smashed in.
All of these videos i have seen are from idiot americans. Just because they have a truck they think they can do as they like. Ok, the car driver must be an idiot, but in all the videos i have seen the truck driver makes no attempt at all to brake, they just gleefully ram the car. They should be banned for life and the truck cut up fo scrap..

You do not see this in the uk as the truck driver knows they will be going straight to jail..

I have a class one HGV and have NEVER, been "brake checked" This is most likely because i do not drive two feet behind the car in front..

john..

And there Mr Murdoch, you have hit the nail on the head.

I know. There are a lot of people moaning about services but don’t want to pay more tax

You can’t have it both ways

And for the record I would be happy to chip in a bit more at a local and National level. And the specific NI on all for the NHS

All of these videos i have seen are from idiot americans. Just because they have a truck they think they can do as they like. Ok, the car driver must be an idiot, but in all the videos i have seen the truck driver makes no attempt at all to brake, they just gleefully ram the car. They should be banned for life and the truck cut up fo scrap..
The incidents that Im refering to I have seen in uk and it's been captured on the HGV's dashcam, a car pulls sharply in front of the HGV and then jumps on the brakes giving the HGV driver no chance of stopping and the stupid car driver getting their car demolished. It's been confirmed on the programs that have featured such incidents the car drivers have been prosecuted for dangerous driving or worse.
You do not see this in the uk as the truck driver knows they will be going straight to jail..
Yes you do as explained above and the truck driver is not going to jail

I have a class one HGV and have NEVER, been "brake checked" This is most likely because i do not drive two feet behind the car in front..
I too have class one from 42 years ago in my distant past, I never got brake checked either for the same reasons and I only did it for about 6 months (in a Leyland Buffalo!)

I know. There are a lot of people moaning about services but don’t want to pay more tax
Absolutely, i do wonder at times where they think the money comes from.

You can’t have it both ways

And for the record I would be happy to chip in a bit more at a local and National level. And the specific NI on all for the NHS
Me too, I wish the National Lottery was used to fund our emergency services and NHS. That way it wouldnt be art galleries in London and the like that benefitted, it would the the whole population of the UK.

no just a lot of strange drivers :D. We have an large elderly population, and lots of tourists who like to slow down a stare at the Dartmoor ponies, just casually blocking the road instead of pulling into one of the many car parks. The only way to overtake safely on some of the roads is floor it to get past quickly - the sort of thing that could look bad on video.

The only way to overtake safely on some of the roads is floor it to get past quickly - the sort of thing that could look bad on video.

and then without context or another view you get stuff like this. jump straight into 1 view and you miss other details to the situation. often the other view is missed because the first is more convenient to jump to conclusions

m0mr2rp8wj631.jpg

spend less on hotels for immigrants and other unnecessary costs and you would have a few more £ for other more important services like police
And thats another thing............
RAF Scampton (ex home of the Red Arrows and Dambusters) has been commandeered for migrant storage, the police have been given £1,800,000 to police it. Absolutely ridiculous, why on earth we cant send them straight back from where they came beggars belief.

Latest posts