Been on the naughty step today šŸ™

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had to attend a speed awareness course, canā€™t imagine itā€™s too much of a deterrent

I know somebody whoā€™s been on 4 of these - which rather proves me point šŸ˜‰

I thought you could only do one then you had to take the points, do get the choice each time to avoid the points

I think you can re-attend a course if it is 3 years or more since previous course..?

As technically if you had paid a fine and had the points, they would have expired after 3 years anyway... So would be staring again on a blank canvas..

However I have no personal experience of such courses...

But I have had paid 3x speeding fines, with the associated points over my driving life so far..
1983 Ā£36 + 3 points
2006 Ā£60 + 3 points
2017 Ā£100 + 3 points

As a side-note for Murdoch:
were you caught relatively close to home?
As I am sure I read a statistic that said 90%+ of speeding offences occur close to home where people get a bit too over confident with familiar roads.

But are generally a bit more cautious when further away from home on less familiar roads!

(All of my offences were approx 5 miles or less from home.)

As I am sure I read a statistic that said 90%+ of speeding offences occur close to home where people get a bit too over confident with familiar roads.

But are generally a bit more cautious when further away from home on less familiar roads!

(All of my offences were approx 5 miles or less from home.)
both of mine were local, the last one was were they had dropped the speed limit to 20mph - that was annoying!

I was driving the misses car on the M3 relatively close to home šŸ˜‰

Very late at night with almost no cars on the road in the dry

Last edited:
I have done 3 speed awareness courses. I think normally you only get offered them if you haven't done one in the last 3 years but one of mine was about 2 years after one, I was told it depends where you are.

I have done 3 speed awareness courses. I think normally you only get offered them if you haven't done one in the last 3 years but one of mine was about 2 years after one, I was told it depends where you are.
Unfortunately I have done about 5x of these and the rule is 3x years between the same type of course and even for speeding they have different courses, speeding, speeding on motorways and even now Intelligent Motorway awareness. They seem to make a course to allow you to avoid the points and they have changed over the years.
When I first did one many years ago it was all shock and horror photos of crashes but now its much more psychology to make us realise we made a mistake and accept we did - it can be very amusing listening to people coming up with excuse after excuse why it wasn't their fault and they shouldn't be on this course but generally I've always gained one piece of advice which has helped improved my driving but 99% is common sense and slow down šŸ˜®

Have any of you that have been on the course, tried to argue your fine e.g "but I only just entered the 30 limit and was still slowing down" or do you just shut up, suck it up and avoid the points?

I've done a couple, basically ask for your reasons why you were speeding and by the end you have to except there are no reasons just excuses. As for still slowing down, this was asked and basically said the limit is from the sign, that's the line in the sand, you cant start to slow down after the sign, you have to be at or below the speed at the sign. Did actually enjoy the 2 I've been on, one from years ago that i had to attend in person and was a sort of shock you by videos and facts, the other a few months ago was on line and was more facts. Has it changed my driving style? Not really.

Have any of you that have been on the course, tried to argue your fine e.g "but I only just entered the 30 limit and was still slowing down" or do you just shut up, suck it up and avoid the points?
Not worth wasting your time and breath! The annoying thing is it's aimed at those only a few mph over the limit, which is so easy to do in modern vehicles but still far safer than driving a Morris Minor at the speed limit.

I was on the first course in Faringdon Lancashire. At that time it involved actually going out in a car and driving. My fellow offender , at the time identified as a lady, drove the wrong way around a roundabout as we exited the course centre. Afternoon was a video question and answer session.
When it came ro my turn he stopped the video, as vehicle approached a pedestrian crossing. Asked what I would do. I said slow down. He said No, its pedestrian controlled so carry on. Then he asked me how many types of pedestrian crossing there are. I knew there were at least three so I went in to,estimating mode by "doubling and add 1"
7 I said
Correct he said! Can you name them?
Yes I said, then sat in silence
He asked me again
I said Yes, and sat in silence
By this time he was confused so I politely explained that he had actually asked me of my ability to name them by using the words ",can you" whereas he should have said "name them for us, please"

Sooooooooooo......

There but for fortune......... I guess I've been lucky so far.
What annoys me is that I'm sure there is as much fund raising as safety involved in the operation. I've often seen the mobile trap van early in a morning, when traffic is at a minimum, and there is actually no danger caused by a few extra MPH. On top of that it's been on roads where the long standing limit has been recently lowered.
I personally think that the average speed systems are more effective at controlling speed and fairer in that they don't punish a momentary breach like the camera vans do.

Latest posts