Best brand of 12v MR 16 downlighter?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky308

Reaction score
What's your favouirite brand of ELV downlighter? I've got to replace a batch of IBLs that I fitted a few months back, all have fried the wires & lampholder. Not very impressed with any of the fire-rated ones I've seen - they all seem to run very hot 'cos they're fully enclosed of course. In fact, I'd say they're more likely to start a fire than the ordinary ones :| . Any recommendations?

i've used jcc fire rated downlights and havent had any probs.

The fire rated fitting will dissapte the heat, so what you saying doesnt sound right. Do the fittings hav enough free air space above the cieling? Is the lamp wattage to high for the fitting?

Need to replace them 'cos they've fried the internal cable & lampholders. I know other sparks who've had same problem with IBL. And yes, I'm using the correct aluminium reflector lamps, not dichroic. No problem with space in ceiling void - trouble is simply that these fittings get extremely hot 'cos they're virtually unvented.

I have had very few problems with JCC downlighters , low volt or mains.

Always fit the fire rated, they have vents in the top which are blocked by the layer of special material when exposed to fire. Nice big connector box fitted to them.

Various sizes and shower type .

Deke

Best brand of 12v MR 16 downlighter?
No such thing as best..

I f'ing hate downlights..

It will only be a few more years and they will be out of fashion and everyone will want the holes filled up and decent HF florrys fitted..

They are the modern version of artex, and soooooooooo dear to run (let alone fit)

Did I mention I f'ing hate them ?

What's so disappointing, is you need so many to produce a decent light..

:_|

(And I don't like fitting them either, but..)

In some instances they do look good..

:^O

IBL are s..t have not fitted them since had same problems. Alright manufacturers putting 10 year warranty on them and then they pack up what will they do about it nothing maybe give you some new lampholders. I don't think they tested them. I use either aurora as they have open vents or Snaplite as they are ok under fibreglass but I have been using more JCC low energy downlights recently as they are only 11 watts per fitting.

Batty

I use the JCC range very reliable light and a good range of different lights.

Like batty says about the 11 watt downlighter they are very good and give off a good light im very impressed with them but make sure you ask for the dimmable bulb as if there is a dimmer on the circuit they wont work with normally 11watt bulb.

What's your favouirite brand of ELV downlighter? I've got to replace a batch of IBLs that I fitted a few months back, all have fried the wires & lampholder. Not very impressed with any of the fire-rated ones I've seen - they all seem to run very hot 'cos they're fully enclosed of course. In fact, I'd say they're more likely to start a fire than the ordinary ones :| . Any recommendations?
i normally just use the cheap stuff from my wholesaler. never had any problems with them. cant remember the make, ill have a look on a box next time im at my garage. there also not fire rated or anything, just standard type.

never had the need to fit fire rated, but i have had a call to repair a few where the connector has got so hot its melted/brittle and broke away from lamp. didnt look to see what make it was, but they were DIY installs so probably

Question is, do you really need fire-rated in the first place????? I find even JCC seem to toast the lamps every couple of months (unless using CFLs) so don't use fire-rated unless absolutely necessary.

If you want to comply with building regs they should be fire rated and ones in loft should not allow passage of moisture.

Batty

Assuming all fitted correctly...

If less than 12 months ago.... :eek:

I think its a case of non-compliance with sales of goods act etc..

i.e. goods being of merchantable quality? manufacture should be paying or Trading standards should be contacted?? ?:|

SL

The ones that I have fitted have lasted more than a few months but certainly not the 10 years that they are warranted for. The problem is the customer had also put the wrong lamps in some so it could be that what caused them to burn out. I am just glad that I did not fit to many of them. If you have got to go back to jobs to put them right that is the end of any profit you have made.

Batty

SLThe ones that I have fitted have lasted more than a few months but certainly not the 10 years that they are warranted for. The problem is the customer had also put the wrong lamps in some so it could be that what caused them to burn out. I am just glad that I did not fit to many of them. If you have got to go back to jobs to put them right that is the end of any profit you have made.Batty
Indeed batty...

The problem is the customer had also put the wrong lamps in
This is a problem... especially when customer goes buying "bargain" light bulbs from Wilkinson's/b&q/pound-shop or similar!

On a large job with a fair few fitted..... say start failing after 11months...

It could be a quite a big chunk of lost profit?

You do need to ensure that customer is aware of correct bulb types with these sort of fittings.....

As a side issue.. Cheepo 'dimable' GU10 230v bulbs can also wreak dimmer switches with the surge when bulbs blow.!

SL

Trouble is I usually give them a few alutech bulbs and when they are used I suppose they forget what you tell them. I had a customer that I installed a new consumer unit for. When I installed it I showed her how to test the RCD. She rang me to say she had tested the RCD and now the sockets would not work. Not thinking she had not put it back up I went around on the way home. I could not believe it. I mean I had left an instruction sheet but it just goes to show. Snaplite give a lable to put on consumer unit about using alutech bulbs and where youy can purchase them but I don't no what the answer is.

Batty

Thanks for replies. Think I'll give Aurora a try. BTW, IEE have a guide re. downlighters on their website which says fire-rated is generally not necessary in domestic buildings, so from now on I'm going to use the open-backed ones whenever possible. Agree that the alu/dichroic bulbs being swappable is another minefield - no way most customers will remember the difference.

Latest posts