Replace Aurora Lampholder

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmerlin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Both my bathroom and toilet are fitted with Aurora lampholders and as a result Aurora bulbs -yes, you can't use any other brand with their lampholders!! And I HATE these!!

First of all they takes aaaaages to warm up, so more than often you have finished your business before you have a chance to enjoy a fully lit room, secondly, despite their hefty price tags, these bulbs don't even last half the life span claimed by the manufacturer, so they either blatantly lie or have a very high rate of faulty products, either way that's not good enough!

So my questions are:

1. Can I  simply change the lampholder, I guess the wiring is standard? 

2. If I can, do I need to change the existing case or are there any compatible bulbs?

Thanks for your replies :)

Carine

Aurora lampholders and as a result Aurora bulbs -yes, you can't use any other brand with their lampholders!! And I HATE these!!

Those are GU10 lampholders. Very generic, I have fitted thousands of them from 10's of different manufacturers with hundreds of different lamps. They are not "Aurora lampholders" and you do not have to fit "Aurora lamps".

And, while you're at it, fit some nice LEDs, 

How bright do you want it,? 

Anything under 350lm is a waste of time IMO,  go for a cool white, or daylight white would be my advice for a bathroom. 

Not so sure its so simple. The originals are a Special GU10, PAR 20 diameter, and remember its a bathroom so should be IP44.  The seal is with the lamp body and the holder is on a flying lead. I fully agree that these lamps are rubbish; they were fitted by the builders at the last place I worked and soon got changed.

LEDs are certainly the way to go, Screwfix do some reasonable ones I've found reliable.  Sorry, but I do believe the fittings ought to be changed too, and even that's not easy as the Auroras have a large-ish cutout.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know my mistake Geoff, was going to edit but the page threw me out........................London is still too far :D

Hi all, Thanks a lot for your replies. Unfortunately these are not standard GU10. Aurora have fitted their lampholder with a little bump/ridge and the bulbs have a groI've which is not present in other GU10 bulbs. I'm telling you these people are cheeky. 

I think i'll try the PAR20 soggested by Geof1946.

Just had another thought on this. The lamps you have are obviously CFLs (Compact fluorescents), same as I had experienced (badly) a few years ago.

It may be good news that Aurora are now marketing PAR20 LED lamps.

You need to check but I would expect these to be compatible with their older fittings and they should be a whole lot better.

http://gb.auroralighting.com/Lighting-Products/Lamps/Specification-LED-Lamps/240V-PAR20.aspx
Thanks Geoff will have a look hopefully they have this little groove missing on standard GU10!

Those are GU10 lampholders. Very generic, I have fitted thousands of them from 10's of different manufacturers with hundreds of different lamps. They are not "Aurora lampholders" and you do not have to fit "Aurora lamps".
 Unfortunately you can't. Without the groove you can't twist the bulb in,  so it wold not hold in place.

will have a look hopefully they have this little groove missing on standard GU10!
they must be SGU10 lamp holders then, part "L" I think

"The special fitting ensures  the SGU10s cannot be replaced with less energy efficient bulbs, so preserving the integrity of the eco-construction."

they must be SGU10 lamp holders then, part "L" I think

"The special fitting ensures  the SGU10s cannot be replaced with less energy efficient bulbs, so preserving the integrity of the eco-construction."
You nailed it Poni! This is it. I didn't know the name of these. The low quality of their bulbs defeat the purpose of the eco-construction agenda though! They only last 3000-3500h!

The low quality of their bulbs defeat the purpose of the eco-construction agenda though! They only last 3000-3500h!

Bit of a short sighted lack of forward planning phase (or one of the many), as with the non standard pendants we used to fit on new builds.

Bit of a short sighted lack of forward planning phase (or one of the many), as with the non standard pendants we used to fit on new builds.

I used to get so many foreigners/homers from those when I worked for a firm, the boss knew, and wasnt bothered,

it was a nice little side earner on a weekend changing them all back to standard fittings,  :)

What makes me laugh is the social parts where they have low ceilings but no dowlights only pendants, health and safety pendants with PL-L's dangling in your face! :slap

I have changed thousands of these to non environmentally friendly lethal BC pendants.

:|