Bluebird Oil Boiler

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a Warmflow, Bluebird oil boiler (90,000BTU) made in Northern Ireland. Good bit of kit so far, been in about 15 years. Had to replace the pump once and the insulation mat under the lid in all that time (do need to remake the lid at some stage).

Anyway, just recently it's started making an odd, intermittent noise. I can only describe it as a "clunk" every now and then. The burner will be going - you can hear it as a constant then..........."clunk". No noisier than the burner and just every now and then. 

Some sort of baffle maybe?

I hope in 15 years it's been serviced?

Servicing of oil boilers is pretty important to de coke the baffles, and check / replace the injector nozzle and set the mixture, air flow etc.

The most important thing is what make is the burner. apart from the burner, the rest of it is mostly just a big metal box full of water.

If it's not had a service for a while I would start with that.

I service, repair and install oil boilers as well as electrical work.

If the 'clunk' is coming from inside the combustion chamber it could well be the baffles.

Sometimes they can literally melt and get displaced in the chamber due to poor combustion settings. They can then rattle especially if the burner is not firing correctly. Open the inspection hatch and this should be clearly visible. Baffles can be bought and they are not expensive.

I cannot think of anything that would make a clunk noise from the burner.