Boiler economy?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreekIslandLover

Reaction score
We have a Y plan system, with lump of cast iron boiler of 20 years vintage. We had cavity wall insulation put in last year, and I've noticed by turning the boiler thermostat down there is no noticeable difference to the heating or hot water. With the stat down low, the boiler comes on more often than if it was set higher, but for shorter periods. I was wondering which extreme of boiler thermostat setting was more economic on the gas, or if there isn't any real difference either way?

its more economical to have the stat turned up ( best just below maximum) with boiler stat down it works alot harder to get to the roomstat tempurature lowering the roomstat will save you a bit more but it will be colder obviously

ps the boiler stat has nothing do with your water temp thats controled by the cyclinder stat located on the tank

i have always thought higher boiler stat temperature= hotter radiators= stat satisfied quicker and due to the high residual temperature of the water= longer periods between boiler firing= saving gas=

All a bit immaterial at the moment as the 3 port valve is knackered, being stuck in one place and the heating seems to be controlled by the boiler stat anyway. ALso, I think the room stat is faulty. I've got a new head for the valve and should be able to sort it at the weekend. I think you are right, as the boiler was set towards high so that's where I'll set it again when the valve is working.