Bonding cable tied

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi

I think no but wanted to ask anyway. Can the water bond be cabled tied to the cold water pipe in a garage?

Thanks

cant see anything wrong with it

but I wouldn't do it to a hot water pipe or gas pipe

Lol @ Paul bb I meant the bond be terminated into a Tenby clamp but the rest of the cable is cable tied along to the pipe. I thought this may have been a no no but can't see a problem on a cold water pipe. Cheers

Common practice but I think it is not to regs.... condensation & risk of mechanical damage if water pipe is modified etc, but as i say i see it often done .

Condensation should not be a problem, mech damage however different thing!

I have done this and it has been "through" an NICEIC inspection.

HOWEVER, the location was under control of a skilled person.

Regulation 528.3.3 pg 109

&

Regulation 543.3.1 pg 131

Are the regs that Nic suggest need consideration in this case...

Bottom line is

If Joe the plumber or Fred the gas man comes to tee into the gas or water pipe to add a new item and it has all your straps and earth wire in the way..

why should you expect him to have to redo your work and re-secure the wire you could have fitted correctly in the first place???

"Any foreseeable operations on other services not affect/damage my electrical work" is the paraphrase version..

Personally I don't do it I think its carp..

But then its another one of those cases where electricians make up their own rules where it suits their lazy workmanship!!!! :eek: :p:Blushing

Or is it only the Nic people are allowed to accuse of making up rules???? :p :Blushing

Sod Fred the gasman and Joe the Plumber , I know them, they're always finding ways to stymie Deke the Sparks ,seems to me ( I'm trying to add a smiley here but they won't work either ,tonight )

Bottom line is

If Joe the plumber or Fred the gas man comes to tee into the gas or water pipe to add a new item and it has all your straps and earth wire in the way..

why should you expect him to have to redo your work and re-secure the wire you could have fitted correctly in the first place???
even if the cable is clipped out of the way on the opposite wall, or even next room, Joe the plumber will still find some way of damaging it as its in the way

cant see anything wrong with it but I wouldn't do it to a hot water pipe or gas pipe
why not to gas pipe? have seen this quite a few times. i know you cant tie a current carrying cable (ie T&E) to it.

got pulled up on a assessment about it, 'a pipe is not a suitable cable support'.