Bonding or NO bonding

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecasam

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have been to a new build today to quote for some extra sockets.

There is no bonding at all. Turns out the building has no Gas and is supplied with plastic main water pipes. But within the property is a mixture of plastic and metal pipes with no bonds anywhere.

First time I have come across NO bonding on new build, :| but if main water feed is plastic, dose it still need bonding???

Thanks in advance for any answers. :x

If the main water pipe is plastic, and is plastic past the main stop tap for at least 1.4 mtrs, then there is no requirement to bond.

You can test across any exposed metalwork and find if any bonding is required but I would doubt it on this new build.

Thanks Green hornet.

I was thinking it must be OK as LBA had signed it all off. :D

Anyway yes it is plastic both sides of the stopcock, the pipe work goes off into the wall so can

Just N/A would be ok on your cert, you could note why its N/A if you wanted to.

I think Green Hornet may be referring to the minimum length of water filled plastic pipe that produces a resistance of 7.67 K ohms...From memory though I think that length would be for 25mm pipe with Inhibitor....15mm pipe with tap water only requires about 0.2 M .

Where does it state that in the regs???
Am I now your reference guide as well?

Thanks a1spark, thats what I was indeed refering to, its easy to raise a potential where there was none simply by bonding something that is not required.

Am I now your reference guide as well?
Only asking a question.

However, I'll just take that answer as being... "there isn't a reg to back up what i have just stated".

However, you could have pointed out 4.4 page 29 in the OSG.

I do wish people wouldn't wave numbers around, that don't actually mean anything.

See you can come back with a valid point if you wanted to.

Not only does your reply back up your statement other people who may be interested have now looked at 4.4 page 29 in the OSG, I will have a look when I get home.

Ive not got the on-site guide but, if the resistance of a length of plastic pipe and its contents exeeds 7.67 K ohms then in the event of an earth fault condition less than 30mA will flow and is unlikely to cause injury..if the lengths of copper pipework referred to in th O.p were to be provided with Equipotential bonding there would be increased shock risk ,due to the pipework now being at or about earth potential

...where, prior to the bonding this would not have been the case .

Am I now your reference guide as well?Thanks a1spark, thats what I was indeed refering to, its easy to raise a potential where there was none simply by bonding something that is not required.
can I use that quote as well when I say something?

Only asking a question.However, I'll just take that answer as being... "there isn't a reg to back up what i have just stated".

However, you could have pointed out 4.4 page 29 in the OSG.

I do wish people wouldn't wave numbers around, that don't actually mean anything.
well doesnt it make you do your homework then,

if you knew the regs to start with then you wouldnt have to look them up,

and if you are a self respecting spark then you should know them,

or at least know how to deviate and still comply. (not with BS7671 obviously)

but with the law.

On a similar subject and hopefully not more "cannon fodder" Slightly knowledgeable builder asked me today, why do you need to bond a copper oil pipe that is plastic sheathed. I promptly blubbered an answer along these lines " if the plastic got damaged under ground then the pipe would/could be extraneous" He gave me a familiar hand gesture in front of the customer.

Any advice??

Also; We have many bottle gas supplies over here. Do we need to bond the pipe coming from 1 or 2 gas bottles standing outside of a building with the pipe at approx 1m high or higher, passing straight through the wall adjacent to the bottles ?? once again, usually plastic coated (not always)