Bonding

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think in general it is good pratice to put a fly lead onto the backbox, but it is not nesscersary if it has at least one fixed lug, as you should really not be working live then you rule out the risk of getting a shock from the socket when departed from the box.

even when testing sokets i use an r1 r2 adaptor so there is no need to remove socket really.

or just be careful lol

Page 166 Regs;Reg 701.415.2; Bonding not needed in special location if;

1) Required disconnection times are achieved according to 411.3.2

2) All final circuits are RCD/RCBO protected to 701.411 and 415.1.1.

3) Main bonding is fitted to extraneous conductive parts.

Could a moderator check this post; I get this question many times.
Technician,Why do you want a mod to check the post please?

If you are concerned about the technicalities then not all of our Mods are electrically trained, they don't need to be to keep "law and order" on the forum.

Manator is electrically trained and working in this field.

mr smith is not as far as I know.

Doc Hudson has some electrical knowledge.

I do not believe Watchdog has electrical training, so I await correction.

IF I have time later I will cross reference your info, but as usual I have more to do than the time to do it!

I'm sure that you will be corrected by another member if you are wrong, however at first glance this "seems" correct.
[quote name='Andy

i think in general it is good pratice to put a fly lead onto the backbox, but it is not nesscersary if it has at least one fixed lug, as you should really not be working live then you rule out the risk of getting a shock from the socket when departed from the box. even when testing sokets i use an r1 r2 adaptor so there is no need to remove socket really.

or just be careful lol
Not all accessories are sockets tho.

Sidewinder is correct that the Moderating team are here to ensure that the forums Terms and conditions are adhered to; vBulletin FAQ not for ensuring the accuracy of the post content. Our members would normally debate and discussed any differences of opinion or interpretation with appropriate references where necessary. This is in essence the key function of the forum, discussing and sharing knowledge and experiences with like minded people. Obviously this does not preclude any moderator from contributing to the various threads where they feel they have sufficient knowledge to make a valid contribution. Your contributions Andy, as with any other member, are welcome on any thread you consider you want to post a reply to.Doc H.
Doc H.

Somehow you are going to HAVE to teach me how to do this multi quote thing!!! ;)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:29 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:29 ----------

See wrong again!

OK, Technician, just before I leave for tonight.

I can't remember the OP, I am guessing it is wrt bathrooms, so supplementary bonding can be omitted with all of the following conditions being met.

Check 411.3.1.2

ADS 411.3.2

RCD 710.411.3.3 (see also 411.3.3)

Also check 415.2.2

You would also need to visit all of these regs and ensure that any regs upon which these depend were also met.

I have not checked any, apart from 701.415.2.

HTH

Sidewinder many thanks; I will read all that. I have to be extremely careful what I tell

my trainees as they fire all manner of questions at me. I talk them through the regs but

I am mindful of the massive cock-ups that have taken place when regulations are misinterpreted.

I hope this forum goes a long way to clearing these things up. I for my part believe it does.

Sidewinder it was the reg. you quoted, 415.2.2 concerning the effectiveness of the bonding as installed that made me start to think that if it was not effective then according to 701.415.2 supplementary bonding had to be fitted. Applying Gn 3 to this the impedance of that bonding system should not exceed 0.05 ohm and if it does exceed that value then that part of the bonding should be improved. It all hangs, IMHO upon that one word "effectively" at the bottom of page 166.

Thanks again.

Latest posts