BS4293 - RCBO or just RCCB

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lester Lecky

Reaction score
Came across an old MK consumer unit. A ring main final circuit has been wired directly into an Old BS4293 double pole protective device! If memory serves this device is only an RCCB (RCD) and not an RCBO. Therefore the circuit connected to it in therory has no over-load protection. Can anyone confirm what the BS4293 device is? Was there an RCBO version? Just wondered because if not an RCBO then this is a serious issue that needs rectifying because the circuit has no over-load protection!

Thanks for all comments!

hey admin do you see any comments, i know what the problem is, its that invisble ink that spec loc was talking about in the 7 day cancellation notice thread :^O :run

seriously though, if that is just an rcd with no overload, then it needs sorting as the only over load is a 60-80-100 amp fuse on the dno/ suppliers cable/head, which isnt good,

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 16:17 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

just an another thing to think, read on another forum :run :eek: :run just that a chap failed a bs4293 rcd because when tested 5 times on x5 setting/trip it failed by approx 5ms so just test that device before doing any work in case that unit is old/worn/damaged and needs changing with bs61008 tyoe anyway, ;) ; )

Thanks for reply. Device passed RCD tests ok.

I was just thrown out because i couldn't believe this device may only be an RCD (not RCBO). Glad i double check things.

Been looking on web and it seems its only a RCD. Can't find any reference to an earlier version of a BS61009!

I'm sending my findings to client asap!

Came across an old MK consumer unit. A ring main final circuit has been wired directly into an Old BS4293 double pole protective device! If memory serves this device is only an RCCB (RCD) and not an RCBO. Therefore the circuit connected to it in therory has no over-load protection. Can anyone confirm what the BS4293 device is? Was there an RCBO version? Just wondered because if not an RCBO then this is a serious issue that needs rectifying because the circuit has no over-load protection!Thanks for all comments!
if it has 4 terminals (2 top, 2 bottom), its an RCD. if it has 3 terminals & neutral flylead (missing terminal on bottom where neutral would be - to fit onto standard busbar), then its an RCBO. they both look similar

older MK sentry had 2 types of RCBO. one double module width (as above) and a single module width (similar design to modern RCBO's)

mate it is only an rcd, i came across a similar situation involving a shower circuit, that bascially went through an rcd 40 A 30mA but had no overload protection in sight :eek: really dodgy

mate it is only an rcd, i came across a similar situation involving a shower circuit, that bascially went through an rcd 40 A 30mA but had no overload protection in sight :eek: really dodgy
reminds me of this

Image038.jpg

Looked into it more and it's an RCD! What a bodge! God knows how long thats been sitting in that consumer unit!

Client will want to get it sorted i'm sure but it may be a pain in the ass! Its an old MK consumer unit - the type recessed into the wall (20+ years old). What are the chances of getting new correct parts/devices to fit on rail and line up with busbars, cover etc! Would normally look at a consumer unit upgrade but this old recessed type may not so straight forward unless new MK stuff will still fit inside!

More homework required! Got to be sorted though - client willing!

Really Andy?

That will be great if devices will fit in etc. Not used MK much but i know with other makes the breakers change shape etc considerably over the years.

Fingers crossed it all comes together when/if requested.

Will have to look into these conversion kits too!